Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Receiver question. Different machining from 2 diff ruskies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Receiver question. Different machining from 2 diff ruskies?    Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:39 am

Ok, I was looking down inside 2 different Mosin receivers I have, and I noticed ahead (forward) of the locking lugs, in one receiver only, there is a half round segment of metal not machined out. Its hard to explain in words, so I threw together a quick vid. The receiver on the left just shows the locking lugs (green arrows) and the lug ramps (dark green arrows). The one on the right shows the lugs (green arrows) and the extra round segment of metal (red arrows). Whats that for? The bolt face passes through it when the bolt is fully closed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The picture I uploaded is much bigger, but photosuckit shrunk it down I guess. If you click (options) then (download) you'll get a bigger picture you can zoom.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Receiver question. Different machining from 2 diff ruskies?    Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:25 am

Semi-educated guess: the one with the extra metal not removed was later/wartime production, and the extra machining step (to remove the half circle) had been deleted in order to increase production output.
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Receiver question. Different machining from 2 diff ruskies?    Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Receiver question. Different machining from 2 diff ruskies?    Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:20 am

Hey, right on Mo! Smile Thanks. Looks like you were right Zeiss.
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Receiver question. Different machining from 2 diff ruskies?    

Back to top Go down

Receiver question. Different machining from 2 diff ruskies?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1