Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Howdy from Texas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rayb008

PostSubject: Howdy from Texas   Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Howdy everybody, well I found this site as I was looking around the web for the best Lee mold for my new rifle. Just picked up a Type 53 to go in the Archangel stock and am having a heck of a time getting the top screw to seat in the new stock. So I will begin to peruse the forums and see what you fella's know and can teach me.

Ray
Type 53
M91/30
SKS
Howa 1500
and a whole lot more
Back to top Go down
http://www.Ray-acnp.com
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Texas   Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi Ray! Welcome to the forum.  welc

That rear top screw is a toughy.  Basically, the way that nut was made, the threads dont get completely formed until you install the screw for the first time. I think its a 55deg whitmore thread?

Anyways, the solution is, keep turning the bolt. It will feel stuborn and tight. But when it stops, you will know it. Throw some oil in there on them threads also.

I dont know why they made that rear tang bolt such an insane fit. But either way, it is most likely machined properly, you just have to bear down and keep cranking. Once the bolt stops it will be very obvious.

After you get the rear screw all the way in, you might notice that the rifle bolt is very hard to slide in. ? If you arent sure what is preventing the bolt from sliding in the action, remove your trigger and sear and try it again. If your bolt slides in no problem, then you need to file some material off of the rear trigger guard, or from the back of the trigger itself. Personally i'd much rather grind on the trigger than the $200 stock. lol 

Hope this helps, and thanks for coming to hang out. ironmike(:
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Texas   Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:07 pm

The guys here give good advice, welcome.
Back to top Go down
Rayb008

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Texas   Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:54 pm

I've screwed it in several times all the way down and all the way back out, even used my drill with screwdriver attachment and went as deep as she'll go and still having issues. May have to try one of my other 91/30's in it and see if I'm having the same problem. When I put the barrel in I'm able to screw it down to where I can slide the bolt in, but not far enough down so the bolt will cycle....getting a little frustrating Thanks for the welcome !!!!

Ray
Type 53
M91/30
SKS
Howa 1500
and a whole lot more

SilverTip wrote:
Hi Ray! Welcome to the forum.  welc

That rear top screw is a toughy.  Basically, the way that nut was made, the threads dont get completely formed until you install the screw for the first time. I think its a 55deg whitmore thread?

Anyways, the solution is, keep turning the bolt. It will feel stuborn and tight. But when it stops, you will know it. Throw some oil in there on them threads also.

I dont know why they made that rear tang bolt such an insane fit. But either way, it is most likely machined properly, you just have to bear down and keep cranking. Once the bolt stops it will be very obvious.

After you get the rear screw all the way in, you might notice that the rifle bolt is very hard to slide in. ? If you arent sure what is preventing the bolt from sliding in the action, remove your trigger and sear and try it again. If your bolt slides in no problem, then you need to file some material off of the rear trigger guard, or from the back of the trigger itself. Personally i'd much rather grind on the trigger than the $200 stock. lol 

Hope this helps, and thanks for coming to hang out. ironmike(:
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Texas   Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:45 am

Did you get this figured out Ray?

Did you try installing the bolt with the trigger removed?
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
Rayb008

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Texas   Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:11 am

SilverTip wrote:
Did you get this figured out Ray?

Did you try installing the bolt with the trigger removed?
Yea it finally went in after working and working at it, but I ended up finding two more 91/30's in pristine condition and cheaper than usual, so I got them and used one of them instead of the Type 53...LOL Also instead of using the original bolt/screw that came out of that hole I used the one the company provided as well which eventually worked. I had tried the original and the one they sent several times but finally got it. Now it seems the magazines are screwed up. I can't get any ammo to cycle even with the bolt closed and slamming the magazines in both my 5 round and 10 round'er . So I contacted the company about 3 weeks back letting them know I was none too happy about paying all this money and getting a product that doesn't work and they said they had the issue fixed and would send me two new magazines. Well here we are almost 4 weeks later and still no magazines. I've seen the Youtube video where he recommends baking the things but that's a bunch of crap. A person pays all this money they expect it to work correctly right out of the box. So now I"m just waiting on my new magazines to show up.

The Type 53 that I got from Buds online looked like it had sit in a tar pit since the chinese were done with it maybe in 1956, so I stripped the stock down to bare wood after baking all the cosmoline out of it and refinished it, then there was some pitting on the barrel and I stripped that all down to the bare metal and re-blued the entire barrel. Came out fairly well if I do say so myself. Now I just need to figure out how to crimp the barrel bands back to their original shape so the hand/barrel guard will stay in place. I'm not a gunsmith but this is a fairly nice/new hobby for me, so it's a learn as you go process so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Texas   

Back to top Go down

Howdy from Texas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1