Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

7.62x54r Imroved

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: 7.62x54r Imroved    Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:42 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Well, my wait is finally over! Something like 6weeks I think it was. I ordered a custom reamer from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Thanks to HipShot for helping with the CAD work!

I changed the Mosin case to increase capacity, decrease case taper, push the shoulder forward, and increase shoulder angle.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My brother made a mock up of the case (left) while we waited on the new reamer.

Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: 7.62x54r Imroved    Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:06 am

I see a likely problem with chambering a 7 mm barrel using the 7.62x64R Improved reamer: the case neck size is defined by the reamer, and will be greatly oversize for a 7 mm -- that is, you'll have a chamber neck that accommodates a .311-.313 bullet, but your case will need to hold a .284 or so bullet.  The least that will happen is you'll have poor accuracy due to bad centering.  I think you'll need to order another reamer or have that one altered to use it in a 7 mm barrel (and you'll have much more additional work to alter an action to take the large cartridge rim and, assuming a repeater, feed the rimmed cartridge).
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 7.62x54r Imroved    Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Zeiss Ikon wrote:
I see a likely problem with chambering a 7 mm barrel using the 7.62x64R Improved reamer: the case neck size is defined by the reamer, and will be greatly oversize for a 7 mm -- that is, you'll have a chamber neck that accommodates a .311-.313 bullet, but your case will need to hold a .284 or so bullet.
You are right Zeiss. However, i am equipped now to make reamers. So I will make a new one for the 7mm project. And it will be built on a Mosin action.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: 7.62x54r Imroved    Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:18 pm

SilverTip wrote:
Zeiss Ikon wrote:
I see a likely problem with chambering a 7 mm barrel using the 7.62x64R Improved reamer: the case neck size is defined by the reamer, and will be greatly oversize for a 7 mm -- that is, you'll have a chamber neck that accommodates a .311-.313 bullet, but your case will need to hold a .284 or so bullet.
You are right Zeiss. However, i am equipped now to make reamers. So I will make a new one for the 7mm project. And it will be built on a Mosin action.
Well, that pretty much solves that issue.  Smile  I'm interested in how well the "Improved" round works out for you; I also have the capability to make a reamer, at least of the one-use variety, and I can't say I'd greatly dislike adding a little ballistic potential to my Mosin.  Based on your earlier measurement/estimate of case capacity, you ought to be able to boost a 180 to 190 grain bullet at similar velocity to what we get from the 147 grain light ball with surplus or factory ammo -- which, if combined with good accuracy, would make the Mosin a decent half-mile rifle.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 7.62x54r Imroved    Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:44 am

Zeiss Ikon wrote:
SilverTip wrote:
Zeiss Ikon wrote:
Well, that pretty much solves that issue.  Smile  I'm interested in how well the "Improved" round works out for you; I also have the capability to make a reamer, at least of the one-use variety, and I can't say I'd greatly dislike adding a little ballistic potential to my Mosin.  Based on your earlier measurement/estimate of case capacity, you ought to be able to boost a 180 to 190 grain bullet at similar velocity to what we get from the 147 grain light ball with surplus or factory ammo -- which, if combined with good accuracy, would make the Mosin a decent half-mile rifle.
Yup. thats the goal. I want to see what can be squeezed out of these already great rifles. I plan on doing alot of side by side comparison (stock mosin vs improved mosin), either this winter, or next summer. Got a mail order girlfriend on the way at the moment, so havent got alot done on my rifles. But after she gets here and settled in, i'll have help, which should speed things up.

If you want one of these reamers, just call Pacific Tool & Gauge, and ask for the '7.62x54R 40deg Adam Bond'. Thats the description Dave Kiff put on the final print. If that dont work, tell them its print #50771. I hope you buy one. Im gonna need all the help I can get to see if this actually IS an improvement. I dont know if its considered a custom reamer anymore, since its now in the system. The first one costed I think $165 or so. So I would think would be standard 'rimmed' price now. scratchhead 

So far, using once fired brass from a standard mosin, cracks at the shoulder. But new brass works perfect everytime. Lapua ofcourse, being the sweetest. thumb
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: 7.62x54r Imroved    Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:43 am

SilverTip wrote:
So far, using once fired brass from a standard mosin, cracks at the shoulder. But new brass works perfect everytime. Lapua ofcourse, being the sweetest. thumb
You just need to anneal the neck and shoulder area before fire forming; you're doing a lot of stretching in that area of the case and the work hardening from even a single firing is enough to cause the cracks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7.62x54r Imroved    

Back to top Go down

7.62x54r Imroved
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum :: All about 54r Reloading Ammo!-
Jump to: