Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Russian Bubba in 45 70?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brownwood

PostSubject: Russian Bubba in 45 70?   Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:16 pm

I have wanted to build a medium bore Mosin sporter like the Finns use for some time now.  I wanted a 9.3X53R but that proved nearly impossible so I started down the path of doing 375/444 (375 JDJ).  As I collected parts and asked questions, a guy on one of the local forums offered me a complete 45 70.  I bit and payed way to much for a rifle i cant get to feed properly.  What's interesting, is it appears to have been converted in Russia.

I am in the process of modifying a standard Mosin Magazine to see if I can get it to feed rounds.

Anyone ever heard of 45 70 sporters coming from Russia?  here's some pics:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: Russian Bubba in 45 70?   Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:52 pm

I never heard of Russian conversions to 45/70 but it's a fascinating idea.  Nice looking rifle for a starting point as well.

Be sure to post results of your work.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Russian Bubba in 45 70?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:52 am

affraid  WOW! Totally kewl. Nope, never heard of such a thing. But I have heard the Mosin Nagant has been changed into nearly every conceivable configuration over the years, over there. Lots of records still stand using these actions.

Check your ejector assembly and see it its hitting the interior of your stock, causing the rounds to not feed correctly. Just a thought.

Have you fired this thing?
What are the markings on the receiver, and barrel?
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
bubbas4570

PostSubject: Re: Russian Bubba in 45 70?   Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Just noticed this thread, and doesn't surprise me it doesn't work. The "convertor" probably didn't spend the time or money on checking the small things to make it work properly.

A quick check would be to make sure the rim thickness is the same on both cartridges, not to mention the diameter of the cartridge rim is good to go. This will be affected within the extractor dimensions needed for proper function, not to mention the feeding properties from the magazine, interrupter, ect.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Russian Bubba in 45 70?   Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:53 am

Whats the status? Did you get any where on the feeding issue?

If not, where exactly is the hang up occurring? Down in the well, before the ramp, at the ramp...etc
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Russian Bubba in 45 70?   

Back to top Go down

Russian Bubba in 45 70?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1