Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

improved dies for 7.62x54r

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rbarnes

PostSubject: improved dies for 7.62x54r   Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:38 am

Just got a email from Dave at CH4, He said it would be $115 and 6 to 8 months for a sizing and trim die but will need to send a chamber drawing or 2 casings.
  I did notice that the 348 Winchester is pretty close to the same dimensions as the 54R.
 If you look at P.O. Ackleys book volume1 page 434 of handbook for shooters and reloaders it shows the cartridge in the improved version necked down to 30 cal.
He mentions it to be an efficient long range cartridge. I wonder if the guys with the model 71 lever guns thought about necking up the 54R ?

interesting
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: improved dies for 7.62x54r   Tue May 20, 2014 10:11 pm

I bought a Lyman 54r sizing die. I chucked it up in the lathe. Took a .49 reamer and plunged it in all the way up to the neck sizing portion of the die. Than went in with a 5/16 (very sharp) drill bit and just took the bur off the leading edge of the neck sizing hole (where I stopped with the reamer). Then used a 5/16 dowel rod with fine valve grinding compound on it for about 2min. Then used some flitz for about 4min.
It sizes beautifully.
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: improved dies for 7.62x54r   Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:21 pm

What exact kind of improved die are you needing?

Also, is your Ackley book for sale or trade?  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: improved dies for 7.62x54r   Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:36 am

SilverTip wrote:
I bought a Lyman 54r sizing die. I chucked it up in the lathe. Took a .49 reamer and plunged it in all the way up to the neck sizing portion of the die. Than went in with a 5/16 (very sharp) drill bit and just took the bur off the leading edge of the neck sizing hole (where I stopped with the reamer). Then used a 5/16 dowel rod with fine valve grinding compound on it for about 2min. Then used some flitz for about 4min.
It sizes beautifully.

Nice, quick, easy way to make a neck sizing die from a full length.  Much cheaper than trying to find a collet or bushing die for x54R.  I might have to get a spare Lee sizing die (in order to keep the full length die I have, in case I get another rifle and need to make rounds that will work in both) and borrow/rent/make a reamer to do the same job (a half inch twist drill would probably work, though it might leave the shoulder too steep).  I'd been planning to "partial size" to get neck sizing only, but this would do a better job of sizing the entire neck.

Another option would be to get a Lee .30-06 or .303 collet neck sizing die, and cut down the length (much simpler operation) so it actuates correctly for x54r (or x54R Improved) case length.  It'd cost a little more (the collet sizer is about twice the price of the full length die), but would be a much simpler operation to trim down the length vs. boring to a precise depth.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: improved dies for 7.62x54r   Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:39 am

Where you been Zeiss!  lol

Another great option for someone to make a neck sizing die.  shweet
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: improved dies for 7.62x54r   Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:04 pm

SilverTip wrote:
Where you been Zeiss!  lol

Another great option for someone to make a neck sizing die.  shweet

Hard to keep up the enthusiasm when there's no money to actually do anything...  Sad   But, the good news is, hunting season is coming, there's now a free, public range about an hour's drive from home, so I'll be able to verify my zero before going out to try to fill the freezer.  I'm confident in the accuracy and performance of my rifle, the only question is whether I'll get a shot at a buck...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: improved dies for 7.62x54r   

Back to top Go down

improved dies for 7.62x54r
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1