Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

53r vs 54r Any difference? Finn vs Russian

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: 53r vs 54r Any difference? Finn vs Russian   Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:49 pm

After scouring the net for case length recommendations, and conversations about 53r and 54r case difference, and urban legends, etc etc.... here is the best info I could come up with.

ALL CURRENT 54r PRODUCTION IS MADE TO FUNCTION IN ALL 54r/53r WEAPONS (always check projectile and bore dia first ofcourse).

Originally, yes the 2 cases were made to two completely different C.I.P. standards. But that is no longer the case.

We are not alone in the confusion. Apparently over seas, between the Finns and Russia there has been great confusion among enthusiasts as well.

The bottom line: IMO, if someone is reloading 54r/53r and has case length questions, it appears to be generally accepted that 2.114 is the max trim length. I do not know min trim length, however, I have trimmed down to 2.045 with no problems and great results. So anywhere in between should suffice. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
mike in co

PostSubject: Re: 53r vs 54r Any difference? Finn vs Russian   Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:42 am

actually there is a difference.
if you have a finn 76 (28/76)target rifle it is setup for finn spec ammo. russian ammo does not fit.
everybody else is good to go.
generally speaking milsurplus ammo is interchangeable in the rifle family ,less the noted exception above..

inspite of claims there are no factory 308 rifles.....most are spec's at 310 or 311 with war tolerances going way past 314. the smallest bore i have ever mic'd is my finn 28/30 that is a tad under 310.

the finn's made a political decision to not shoot the 7.62x54r RUSSIAN ammo in their FINN RIFLES.
THEY SPEC'D THEIR OWN AMMO AND CHAMBERS..7.62x53r.  Oddly enough when they got done, russian ammo still fit their rifles. this is quite intentional...twice as much ammo available in the field, yours and theirs.
Back to top Go down

53r vs 54r Any difference? Finn vs Russian
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1