Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:28 am

Hello, Everyone. This is my mosin nagant sporter, Special Purpose Rifle custom build. Disclaimer, I am not a gunsmith and have very little actual tools so when I say "custom" I mean I had to have someone else do the gunsmithing  for me. I just don't have the tools for the precision machining work.. :-(

I would post pictures, but my mosin is still in the process. I have 2 parts left to order and the rest are in transit. Then I have to actually get ahold of my gunsmith that has been dodging my calls for the last week for the machining work. Here's the parts list and work that will be done.

1943 round receiver mosin, excellent condition.
Rock Solid Industries Picatinny Scope Mount
Rock Solid Industries Bent Bold Handle
Archangel AA9130 Stock w/ 10 round magazine
Ar-15 front Lower mounted Picatinny Rail
Timney Trigger
XTS Picatinny Mounted Bipod
Precision Armament SPR m11 Muzzle Break
Mako Vertical Pistol Grip
Vortex Crossfire II 6x24x50 AO BDC Reticle Scope
Barrel Shortened to 24.5", and threaded.

All in all my rifle was $180 at 71 years old. When all my mods are finished, I will have a somewhat unique $1240 bench/hunting rifle....

What  do you all think? Does anyone have any experience with any of these components? Also, I have an idea for a second one.... It would be a Bullpup design at the absolute shortest limits, wooden stock, with a red dot sight and flash suppressor. Idea's on this???

Thanks,

-----Alex
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:07 pm

That sounds like it will be a great shooter. That Timney should make a huge difference, and so will shortening the barrel.
I have been eyeballing buying that very same scope. Heard they are great.

As for the bullpup, Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:42 am

Can't wait to see the pics Very Happy
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:07 am

Silvertip, I have good news. I got into contact with a different Gunsmith and he is going to meet me on Friday to discuss details, etc. He said it would be about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks before he could get to my rifle, but that's at least an answer. lol. My scope and brake should be here Thursday. I haven't ordered my Timney yet, or the vertical foregrip. To me, the rifle doesn't need those to work so they will be on my next check. by the time I get it back they should either be ordered or on the way.

I will definitely have pics and let you all know what I think of the vortex scope. I'll be ordering Sellier and Bellot 174 grain Sierra MatchKing HPBT for the first range report. Ive heard those are the best ammo to use for the mosin, speaking in b.c. and long range performance.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:57 am

thumb
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

got some mail today, this is what it will look like when the gunsmith does the threading and tapping for the brake and scope mount....

party [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

im ready to shoot this baby... lol
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:11 pm

LOL! Looks like me at Christmas time!  Gonna be a great looking rifle. Who did the bolt handle for you?
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Its a Rock Solid Industries Low Profile Bent bolt handle. It cost me $72.00 from their website with a scope mount. Its polished very well and smooth as silk. Smile
Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:32 am

Very nice, what's your verdict on the Rock Solid scope rail?
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:06 am

Since it hasn't been mounted I can only give my first impressions and opinion of the size/design of the mount. It seems to be very well machined and coated. However, there are a couple of things ive already noticed that some people may not like.

I just re-read my post and think I should have been a little more clear. When I say it cost me $72 with a scope mount, I should have said cost me $72 extra. The mount was $110 alone, combo price was $182. Sorry about that.

First is the price. at $110for a mount, that's not cheap, especially for a low budget rifle. Based on the one piece design, machining, etc I can see why its priced where it is, its just a consideration for others to think about.

Second is the positioning of the anchor hole on the side of the scope mount, at least on my mosin. Positioning the mount in the location it will be on the receiver shows me on the left hand side of the receiver the anchor hole will be extremely close to the angle ground wall of the receiver. I'm not sure how solid it would be if a gunsmith drilled it a little further back or if someone's mosin had a different spec than mine. This is more of a flaw in the rifle over the mount because there is only so many places you can drill into the side of the receiver and not affect function.

Lastly, because of the way Mosin's were machined the round receiver isn't perfectly flush, so the mount doesn't fit perfectly on top. Rock Solid Industries suggests when installing the mount for you to bed it to the receiver. RSI suggests the bedding to applied to the mount itself instead of the receiver so as to not cover the serial numbers or alter the firearm itself permanently. I had not ever heard anyone else talk about bedding the mount so I do not think its a big deal but if your trying to accurize while you sporterize I don't see why you shouldn't take that extra step at least.

All in all im happy with the mount and believe it looks good mocked up on the rifle. Its not a perfect fit but I attribute that mostly to the quality and different tolerances of the firearm itself. If anyone is worried about it not being anchored enough I would suggest they look at another RSI scope mount that was released recently. Its the same design as this one, but the rail goes forward and also anchors into the rear sight base like a scout mount. So you have the two screws on top of the receiver, the anchor on the side, and a pin in the rear sight base and a tension screw holding it firm. The piccatinny rail goes further forward of the sight base too allowing you to use nightvision optics in front of your scope. If predator hunting at night is your thing, this allows you to use the mosin for it. I thought about it for mine, but ill never have night optics and would have just gotten it to further anchor the mount in. I would have cut the extra picatinny rail off in front of the sight base but was worried it would look tacky if I did that.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Lots of great info there! Thanks a bunch! shweet
Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:19 pm

That's quite a decent review, thank you.
I got more than I bargained for, so to speak, again thank you.

RSI, won't export, so if I was to get one, I'd have to find someone willing to stick it in the post and label it as valued under $100 to avoid the excess BSPWDTKSIAJ.

But I want to know if it would be worth it.

BTW, if you think $110 is expensive for a scope rail, you've never had to buy something for a Sako TRG42 Wink
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:58 am

your going to love that stock mine made such a difference in the feel and even the recoil

I also had the same problem with a ATI mount it seemed to fit right at first glance
but after having it come lose a few times I see the mount rocks on the receiver just a tiny bit
so I have just bedded it to my mosin

I cleaned the top of the receiver down to raw metal then put a thin layer of JB Weld on the mount
and when I put it back on I used a laser bore sighter to make sure it was as straight as I could make it
by only snugging the screws after it cured I loc-tited it all back together
hopefully this will end my scope mount troubles
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:47 am

Nope, never had to buy anything for a sako trg42. lol.

I think it will be worth it. My gunsmith told me it would tighten down nicely and if I have trouble's ill bed it myself. If you can find someone, and are looking for a great mount, I would definitely think about it.

considering different options on colors, camo. Any suggestions?

Also, sorry for being long winded. I get very talkative about things I feel I know something about, or are passionate about. lol
Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:00 am

Colour wise I'd leave just as is for the time being, get everything right first, shoot it for a few month to be sure.
But as per camo, I've never painted a rifle to camouflage it, I've always wrapped it, using old combat trousers, ideally ones that have still got the IRR coating, then add garnish to it, with "hemp" gardeners string, dyed various colours and then attached to the combat trousers wrap, by tying it all in place. 
It breaks up the shape of the rifle, it basically no longer looks like a rifle, but remember to keep the garnish down to the minimum, as too much will snag on everything, and you end up looking like a sasquatch with a dirty feather duster.

Also, don't forget to keep the wrap around the barrel relatively loose otherwise you run the risk of affecting the barrels free float.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:29 am

lmao, you two crack me up.

Dont worry about being long winded (which I am the king of) Foxtrot.

There is lots of options for painting that beast. Heres my favorites.

Camo stencils (very easy). [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dipkits. (a bit harder) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:41 pm

Oh man I don't believe it someone stole my selfies Wink
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
back from the gunsmith........ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:22 am

Oh man! I bet you cant even sleep! shweet
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:26 am

sweet
have you shot it yet with that stock.??
why did you go 24.5" on the barrel
I had a hard time deciding for mine
I went 22" then the brake its still too long for every case I had
had to get a Plano 2 gun hard case lol
don't like the case but couldn't keep wrapping it in a blanket
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:40 am

got it back tuesday afternoon, put two boxes of surplus through it. Sadly, due to poor gunsmithing my mount isn't mounted correctly and I could only get the bullet to hit paper at 75 maxed out on elevation. Originally it shot around 8 foot high at 100 yards. >_<

I corrected the issues myself (I think) with a washer as a spacer and some jb weld. Havent got to shoot it since. Ill definitely put up a group when Im sure the mount is up to par with the rest of the set up.

Ive shot the stock in open sight and now scoped configuration, and I absolutely love it. The te round mag gives a very comfortable close grip for your off hand, and the adjustability is easy to change from shooter to shooter and shot to shot. I don't feel like the stock itself altered recoil much, and it made it just a tad heavier, but overall I think its an amazing option for the MN.

I ended up choosing 24 because its a little shorter but not super short. I think the Archangel stock is a little long and looks a little goofy with a real short barrel coming out the front.
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:43 am

Oh, and Silvertip. The scope is awesome. great clear picture, easy adjustments without taking your cheek away from the gun, great eye relief. Very impressed with the scope.
Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:32 am

I must say that is one very big lump of glass you have there.
But at the end of the day your happy with it, that's all that matters.

So have you decided what your doing colour wise yet?
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:04 am

dam that sux about the scope mount
you can over come this might have to get creative

for mine I had scope issues too and the biggest pain is getting it all straight again
I used a laser bore sighter the type that looks like a cartridge you chamber it and it shines down the barrel
get a sheet of paper then measure the distance between your bore and the bottom of the scope mount
put two dots on the paper that same distance apart and tape it to the wall
I shot the laser on the paper and got behind the gun sited down the mount to line it up as straight as possible
do this as the JB is still wet
line the laser up to the lower dot and the mount to the upper dot
you can even put some cant into the setup using some math I bet (the kind of math that makes my teeth hurt)

you'd think a gunsmith would of checked this before giving it back to you
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:19 am

Man this is so frustrating. I want to get my hands on that gun. I think we could have you fixed in no time. 8ft high 100yds with your scope turned down all the way?  If im understanding correctly, you are saying that to dial down to p.o.i., you would need more adjustment in the scope? Ive seen some be off a bit, but especially with your 30mm tube, you should easily be able to dial down to 100yd poi on a properly mounted rail.
Can you take some close ups of your rings, and mounts. Yes do exactly what LV said. What is your bore distance below crosshair distance say at 20ft (the further the better)?

With these higher type scope mounts, I always recommend including a scope base angle. Buts its a little harder on the mosins. But doable with some Burris Offest Inserts.

Im tempted to say its not the gunsmiths fault. There is something holding you high in that setup. Mosins are not known for their fancy machining quality. Get some pics with a white background, and we'll see what we can see.
 8ft high at 100yds is like 96moa, which would mean your scope is pointing up at about 1.6 degrees (if my math is correct.... it is pretty early) minus the internal adjustment (so prolly more like 1deg). Which is definitely no good. 

I see your cheek rest is up pretty high also. No big deal. Just if you can ditch the rear open sight, you could possibly lower your scope and try to reduce this problem that way first. Making it easier to shim.
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:30 pm

I already replaced the scope mounting rings with a lower set. I gave the gunsmith two sets, one mid height one lower, and asked him to use the lowest one. He told me the lowest was hitting the scope on the rail and wouldn't tighten so he used the higher set. The lower set packaging was unopened and still sealed when I got home. :-/ And I know he didn't "mix up" scope rings because originally he tried to get me to order some 30mm rings through him since he did not have any on hand.

What I believe the issue in the mount was the rear anchor screw. He drilled the hole too high in the receiver then drilled/milled a larger hole in the mount to fit it. When looking at the side of the receiver, where the mount edge was near the stock, there was a noticeable angle with the rear being too high. This angled my scope downward and my barrel upwards from my point of aim (I think). What I did was take the washer he attached to cover up his enlarged hole and placed it under the first set screw on top of the mount. This raised it up a pretty good deal. then I applied liberal amounts of pam to the action and anchor bolt and added jb weld to the hole he enlarged. I screwed the anchor bolt in and positioned the mount in what appeared to be a nearly or straight angle compared to the stock and machining marks on the action. Im going to take the bolt out (if I can, please work Pam!!!) tonight and see if its disassemble-able.

Ill add pictures here in a little bit of what it all looked like and what it should have looked like.
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:58 am

The first two are how it looked when I got it from the gunsmith, the rest are after I have taken it down and attempted to fix it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:02 am

This is the pre-drilled hole the gunsmith widened about three times higher than it was originally to fit the hole he drilled/tapped into the receiver in the incorrect place. This is after I filled it in with JB Weld.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] This is the washer im using as a shim below the bolt closest to the barrel.
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:10 am

Bolt face side with scope attached.

Scope attached on low rings....

This is the scope mount I am now using. Its a Leupold, but it seems kinda cheap. To take the scope from the rail it loosens up the mounts so the scope has to be re-set and re-zeroed every time. :-( May look into better quality low mount rings in the future...

This is the alignment between the stock and side wall of the mount post jb weld. The Anchor Screw came out very easily and snugs in very well now.

This is how angled up the sight has to set on the front end to match the anchor hole in the rear. I don't know why this posted pic is all topsy turby..
Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:19 am

Whoa, you can drive a herd of cattle through that. scratchhead

Looks good on the back of your truck though thumb
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:23 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
and because I figured out how to put pictures on here again, here is the camo Job I did on my Savage Mark II .22 Rifle. This is the camo pattern I wasn't sure if I should do or not. right now, im considering camo, leaving it black or re-paining it black to get rid of any blemishes, O.D. or Dullish Green, or some kind of design. Im not sure yet.

The truck is only a Rental, lol. My Car is in the shop getting the entire rear end replaced when I hadn't even had it for a month when I was hit. I believe the Mosin will look Much better on the hood of a Ruby Red '13 Mustang.... ;-)

snipersnipersniper
Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:17 am

Mmmmmm..... Mustang
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:42 am

Great camo job.

Ok, i guess I need some clarification. Is the mount level now? Did you get it fixed? Once I seen the pics, I understand better what happened. The rear mount hole has you all jacked up. ?
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 pm

Silvertip, It appears to be more level, but only if I have the washer below the first screw through the top. I will have to test it to see if it is. If so, then im going to take it all back off and bed the mount to the receiver with jb weld and pam. That will fill all of the gaps that are in it and hopefully secure it good enough.

In short, yes, the rear hole is what messed me up. Judging by my eye, the top two taps in the receiver also appear to be slightly off center. The second one (appears to be) slightly more left. I don't know if this is going to be a problem yet though.

What I believe he did is picked a spot in the receiver exactly X inches from the front of the mount and drilled/tapped where he felt it would not interfere with the action. Then tried to widen the pre-drilled hole in the mount to accommodate the new position. I believe he started bring the hole up too high to cover so he put a washer on to cover it up and called it level. In all he basically opened up the hole about three times over straight up. This left the scope angled downward, causing my crosshairs to be lower the further out I went compared to the barrel. Im hoping I can adjust the height like LVJake did.
If I go that far with it, which if my initial fix doesn't work perfect I probably will , ill put up a video of it on youtube as a "how to mess up a mosin receiver" lol.
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:03 pm

have you gone back to him and asked WTF?
I'd think you should at least get your money back
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:07 pm

LVJake7761 wrote:
have you gone back to him and asked WTF?
I'd think you should at least get your money back

Ya. Thats a damn shame. Ive been there before, and know how you feel.

It would be one thing if only the rear hole was effed up. You could atleast bolt the front down, then locate the rear accordingly. But the FRONT HOLES ARE ALSO DICKED UP! Damnit im pissed now!   I dont want to call the guy an idiot. I know how it can go sometimes. But, no matter how it goes, you gotta own up to the shit you do.
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:46 pm

I can already hear what he would say. He would tell me "too bad" I would bet. He told me when I brought it in he was very hesitant to even do the work because he thought the mount i'd be providing would be "one of those cast iron side mounts" a pu style. He said he's done two of them and neither one turned out right. He said on one he actually grinded on the receiver to get the mount to lay over the top instead of out to the side....

I kinda figured providing a mount with the hole pre drilled and instructions from the manufacturer on how and in which order would be good enough. I almost bought the ATI bent bolt and mount kit to do it myself but was worried id eff up the receiver. Guess I should have, then my mount would still be intact, and I would have saved $75.

He charged me $125 for the 3 holes drilled and tapped, and the barrel cut/thread with opening up the muzzle break to the correct diameter. If I would tell him to refund me for the mount he messed up id still not have a correctly done receiver and he most likely wouldn't do it since that would completely eat away his profits.

I like how he did the barrel, not the mount. So ill never have him drill and tap an "oddball" like a mosin again. Ill just give it a shot myself. lol
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:13 am

So, if im hesitant to borrow someones car, but do it anyways, and wreck it, im kewl right? Since I was hesitant.

Yup. A idiot.   "He said he's done two of them and neither one turned out right."  So, russia can do it with age old equipment, but not him? Whats he using, bubble gum and butter knives?

You need to advertise his skills imo. Its not your fault the advertisement aint gonna be good.
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:34 am

well its a pain you got to go through this but all is not lost
do some thinking about this is there one of the holes that looks right?
id think start with that one
the place where all these holes are, are in are all behind the chamber
so not a problem with pressures just need stable and possible places to mount too

could you start out with the one hole that's in the right position and drill new ones from there.?
or maybe find someone that knows how to weld (not something I've had much experience with)
could they fill the old holes with weld and start new? can you drill and tap a weld?
no matter how it looks you can cover it with a good Camo job later this just needs to really be solid
I've had issues with mine for the simple fact that the mount wasn't a perfect match to the receiver
there is going to be a big time jarring motion that will loosen the screws if there is any play

looking at mine its hard to tell exactly cause my front ring is over the screws but there has to be room to put in another hole
and for the side I'm not sure exactly how it mounts but maybe just pick a new spot and start from scratch

either way I'd first start out using the one that's correct spray the top of the gun with WD-40 or something the JB wont stick too and
then bed the mount to the gun so you have it straight and true
then after it dry's tighten that screw up pretty good then using a small pilot bit drill out your starter holes
take it apart and re drill them all out to proper sizes and tap the new holes in the gun
fill in the old holes best you can lock-tite everything back together with JB n paint er up

when all is said and done you'll have a pretty good story to tell about how you over came some gunsmith that did ya wrong
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:48 am

+1 to what Jake said.

Ya, you can weld up the old holes and start over. Ive done it. You'll need an experienced tig welder for that. And then retap/clean the receiver threads where the front hole was.

I laugh when a purist flips out about drilling on a mosin. "it cant be reversed!" they exclaim. Ya, it can.

Im not familiar with that mount. But im guessing the front edge should line up with the receiver/barrel seam.  You can move it rearward and start over. Just dont know if that mount would work with that.
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:50 am

Yea, the mount lines up with the edge of the barrel/receiver and comes back to the bolt opening so moving backwards wont really be an option. Judging by the old tool marks (since they appear to be straight, lol) the second hole is about 1/8" at most off to the left. so its canting the mount to the right. If I only tighten down the first screw and the side anchor screw then it lines up pretty straight. so I may just bed it without the second screw on top, and let the jb weld  go down into the tapped hole. Ill have to seal up the bottom end so it doesn't drip into the action, but that should be okay.

I'm going to get some level's or a piccatinny mounted laser and a bore lazer and get it perfect. Once I get it perfect ill bed it and locktite the screws down. I don't think im going to mess with re'-drilling and tapping new holes. just sealing the one up somehow and maybe do a permenant locktite on the screws after bedding and re-zeroing.

on a happier note, returning crappy bipod tomorrow and ordering timney trigger and another bipod monday
Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:52 am

I also have a war time Mosin, and I've been looking at the top of the receiver and thinking thats going to need a lot of work to get a base to mount properly.

Which is why I've been looking at the PU mount, which fits to the side of the receiver, however as I don't want a PU scope, it kind of limits the options somewhat.
I think I'll go with the original mount base but make a custom mount to fit the scope to.
If I going to make one I might as well make two, so if you interested I'll send the other one over to you.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:02 am

I always take a file, and smooth the major irregularities from the surface of the receiver as best I can first. As long as the holes are dead nuts, you can bed anything to anything. Sometimes you may need to use a thin layer of clay to hold the mount for locating, before drilling. Havent had one that bad yet though.
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Northumbrian, I appreciate the offer. I'm going to keep working on this mount and ill get it straight.. lol. I tried to fix it last night, bore sighted it, and shot it today. The bore laser showed pretty much no deviation out to roughly 150-200 yards. ( I had to be sneaky, pointing a gun around a neighborhood in the middle of the night to sight in a laser... lol) At 75ish yards it was dead on, at 150-200 yards it was barely high and right. I made sure everything was tight and shot it today.

At 50ish yards it was roughly 18-24 inches high. I brought down the scope as far is it would let me and I got it to about 1 inch high, so an improvement. it was also about 8 inches left. This is bullet impact that i'm talking about, btw.

So im going to (in just a few minutes) apply JB Weld to the mount and bed it. I am not going to tighten down the front all the way, so that should raise it up some. If I get to much, I can always remove that material later until I get the proper height. I'm also going to put some jb weld on the outside edge of the mount up against the receiver on the left hand side. This will hopefully pull it back to the left a hair and bring it straight.

From what I can tell the biggest issue is the downward angle of the scope mount so that is what im most concerned about.

So... Here I go..... lol.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Great ideas.  thumb   Sounds like you got a handle on it. I bet it will work out pretty good.

What I do when I use a bore laser, is at about 15yds are so, i install the laser, shine it on the wall about 15yd away, and rotate the laser. It usually makes a circle. I mark the 12oclock, 3, 6 and 9 also. Then I adjust the laser towards the center as best I can. This helps alot when dealing with those bore sighters.
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Ok, so I just bedded my scope mount to the receiver and placed two small shims to help raise it up. One I placed over the second hole into the receiver so no JB weld drips its way into my way. I did not tighten it up all the way, just enough to squeeze some out the sides. It almost looks as if its a little too high now, but that is something I can always fix by removing some material. We'll see.

I also ordered the last of the parts for it. Smile I ordered a Timney Trigger, UTG Bipod, and Mako Vertical Foregrip.... 

The bipod is estimated to arrive Friday and the trigger and grip should ship Tuesday or Wednesday, so maybe this weekend/Next week.

Lastly, I thought I would include That even despite the offsetness (if that is really a word) of the mount, the rifle is shooting very consistently. I compensated for the improper aim on the last shot and hit the center circle. The "groups" were within around 3/4-1" space. I only fired ten rounds, but they were consistant. I was able to find some Hornady Vintage Match 174gr HPBT ammo and plan to sight in with Surplus, then Re-sight in with Hornady. That way I don't waste a lot of money on expensive rounds ($35.00 a box).

I will post an update either tomorrow or next Monday/Tuesday hopefully with a range report to  go along with it. sniper
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:57 pm

Cant wait to see how it goes. Smile

Hornady vintage match is on clearance. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:26 pm

that's awesome glad to hear you got it working good and after using your Mosin like it is
your going to LOVE that trigger

I was really bummed the other day after hearing all your trouble with that mount
glad you didn't give up that gun is going to be a blast
Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:26 am

Well the offer is still open, but it'll be better if you get the scope base you've got working.
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:50 pm

So, My roommate moved out a lot earlier than I expected and took the internet with him. I just got it back and have the rifle fully assembled as it will stay. I have not gotten to shoot it again since I bedded the scope, but while Bore Sighting it (again.... :-( ) I noticed a few things that don't look promising.

First, I centered the scope l/r and up/down based on number of clicks. My turrets are re-zeroable so that is why I did it based on clicks. Then I attached the bore sight and placed it on a wall roughly 25 feet away. It was several inches low and a few inches right. I nearly maxed out the scopes l/r to get it centered. Next I placed the laser on a building roughly 75 yards away (just like before). The dot was much lower than the sight. I maxed it out and the dot was still below the crosshairs. (way below)

I placed the laser on a building roughly 150-200 yards away. The laser was still very low, but higher on the crosshairs than at 75 yards. It was also slightly left of the crosshairs. I would say about 12-18 inches at the target.

Does this seem consistent with having too much material on the left side of the mount on the front, and too much underneath the front, or does this sound like I need to add more and tighten less?

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet so I don't have a range report to be able to show whats going on... Maybe Monday/Tuesday.

I'm trying to think of a couple possible names for her (I'm weird like that, I name my guns and cars...) So Far, I've got: "Blast from the Past" or After one of my favorite Anime Characters, "Robin, the Demon."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build   

Back to top Go down

MN Sporter, Special Purpose Rifle Custom Build
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next