Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

whats one of your favorite plinking targets

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LVJake7761

PostSubject: whats one of your favorite plinking targets   Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:09 am

how about a fun topic
I'm putting this here cause I couldn't find a better place

what are some of the targets you guys use?
shooting paper can get boring and after the load data work is done what do you shoot for fun?

I've been known to surf the local $.99 cent store
tons of destroyable cheep crap that needs some hot lead
I've used cheap fry pans and cookie sheets

I once bought 30 cookie sheets the sales girl thought I was nuts still have about 10 of them in storage someplace I think. they were fun
I'd use the standard cardboard target setup with plywood uprights and on the two uprights I'd screw a 8' long plywood strip horizontally 
and hang all kinds of stuff from it
fry pans run a long zip tie or string through the handle loop it over the plywood and give it what for

cookie sheets were awesome throw it on the ground put a round through the end and zip tie or string through the hole presto
get some spray glue and glue on a dart board target or a head target what ever

tried a lot of different ways to use clays but never really came up with anything good
usually would end up with all them falling off and breaking on the ground

propane bottles are really good thicker metal then beer cans you can get them to jumping around
you can empty a whole clip making them dance
I always use empty ones though just in case but never had one explode or anything
still make that first shot from a distance just in case
after you got a hole in it its open season

water bottles both gallon or small bottles are fun depending on the size of the round your shooting
shook up beer cans but only if there really cheep shitty beer

pretty much anything that's made of that nerf stuff

any thoughts of fun plinking targets?
I'm always open to new ideas
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: whats one of your favorite plinking targets   Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:35 am

Years ago, you could get cheap, discontinued 59cent spraypaint cans. Those were a blast at long range.

Ceramic floor tiles are fun to. Just shove the corner in the ground to hold them.

Computers are nice when you get out the semiautos.

When I was a kid, it was a regular thing for a while to find full beer cans in the ditch on my road (old gravel road, no other house for a mile each way). So I would shake them up and shoot them. Was a blast.

The other day, we put 1lb of tannerite inside a 30cal closed ammo can.

Anymore, I just like AR steel plates.

Heres me shooting some spraypaint.

Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: whats one of your favorite plinking targets   Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:20 am

tannerite is always fun

we taped 1/4 pound to a flat screen TV once didn't do as much damage as we thought it would 
just cracked the screen up pretty good then about 4 of us with AR's and mini 14's shredded it

eggs are fun water melons aren't as much fun as you'd think unless your using a shotgun
something I keep thinking about and forgetting to try is coconuts
one day I'm going to remember to pick up a few before hand

I saw cheaper than dirt had bowling pins for sale we found one once someone had left behind
it took more damage then I thought it would

sometimes I'll do a cardboard cutout of an iron maiden or the ipsc man sizes target
glue on a neon green poster board and cut it to size then cover the whole thing in clear plastic packing tape
then paint it with grey or black spray paint put a red dot or something for a bullseye now you have a home made
shoot n see target after a few hits spray it again with the paint new bullseye and your set again
Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: whats one of your favorite plinking targets   Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:46 am

Anything that goes "ding" works for me arrgggg
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: whats one of your favorite plinking targets   Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:46 am

Tried Coconuts last weekend got some from the dollar store
had visions of an exploding ball of goodness
was more of a crumbly drippy flop
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: whats one of your favorite plinking targets   Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:29 am

LOL!  Oh man, thats sucks. Well, atleast you hittem anyways.

Was it surplus ammo? I know those steel core bullets will really just 'slip' right through anything. I had them going right through bowling pins, without knocking the bowling pins over.
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: whats one of your favorite plinking targets   Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:50 pm

ya Mill surp from my M44 total letdown
also the coconut water got everything all sticky
was a big problem
live and learn

shot my 91/30 out to 500 yards couldn't hit the dam 3 inch gong
but hit the 12 inch almost at will my buddy hit the 3 once and it made his day outshooting me

I know from load development that my 91/30 shoots between 3/4" and 1 1/4" groups @ 100 yards
roughly 1 MOA and 1 MOA @ 500 yards would be about 5" circle not counting for wind 
and up to now I've had my barrel free floated so I think its time to try out the barrel tensioner
that came with my archangel stock to see if it makes a difference or not

video didn't come out very good had trouble getting the focus right really tuff to see on that small ass screen

tried painting the gongs white this time too this didn't work to well either
the neon green over white was too close to the natural vegetation out in the desert was hard to see @ 400 yards
but the white was invisible I could not see it at 500 yards without my spotting scope or rifle scope
so next time out its going to be day-glow orange over white
also going to put a flag or balloons or something so I can find the dam thing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

was hand holding the M44 and hitting a 24" steel plate @350 Yards
going to order a scout scope and mount for that one I'm too old to hit shit with iron sites
but it is a fun shooter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whats one of your favorite plinking targets   

Back to top Go down

whats one of your favorite plinking targets
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1