Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Hi Two more 91/30's in TX

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cncfan

PostSubject: Hi Two more 91/30's in TX   Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Hello everyone.

Been retired for a while and got into fire arms as a hobby and the Mosin's got my attention first for an older firearm that was cheap, easy to modify and had a good parts availability.

I picked up two 91/30's a few month ago and I have decided it was time to start playing with them.

In the process of refinishing the stock now and going to cut it down just back of first barrel band. Have polished the trigger parts which helped a lot in the feel. I am going to cut a few inches off the barrel and thought I had bookmarked a site that sells front sites. Life of me can't find it. The seller sold front sites that were different diameter depending on how far the barrel was cut back.  Wondering if anyone can help me out with finding a site that sold them.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hi Two more 91/30's in TX   Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Hey, Welcome buddy!  I love good ole 91/30's! 

I will have a look see for that site you mentioned.
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hi Two more 91/30's in TX   Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Be that it?
Back to top Go down
cncfan

PostSubject: Re: Hi Two more 91/30's in TX   Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:00 pm

SilverTip.....That is it, sure appreciate the reply, and a very quick one at that. 
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: Hi Two more 91/30's in TX   Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:28 am

welcome
we love working on our mosin's
do you have anything else planed for yours.?
Back to top Go down
cncfan

PostSubject: Re: Hi Two more 91/30's in TX   Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:05 am

LVJake7761 wrote:
welcome
we love working on our mosin's
do you have anything else planed for yours.?

Picked up two 91/30's from a Pawn shop when I lived in Arizona.

The 1942r has a nice trigger and bolt feels real solid. Unless something changes I want to just refinish the wood and keep it stock. Will re-crown it. Maybe a Timney trigger.

The 1937 is the one I am working on. The stock was not in great shape and the trigger felt really “rough”. The bolt is a bit “loose” also. The 1942 is overall in better shape than the 1937 so the 1937 lost the coin toss and it is my “project” I have worked on the trigger going by video's I have seen on Youtube and did a bit of polishing, which has help a lot.

My plans for it is to cut the barrel down a few inches and re-crown it. I have the Military Rifle Muzzle Crowning Tool Kit from Mason Reamers. Did a test run on the crown of this rifle to test it. For a first try of this type of work I am really happy with the results. May get a Archangle Stock for it, not sure yet on stock that is why I have not cut off the end of the original stock yet.

Put a Muzzle brake on it and if I go with the Archangle Stock will put on a scope. Would also like to put a scope on it if I keep the original stock but not sure I would like the long eye relief scopes, Also slip in a Timney trigger.

My main objective with these two rifles is to have fun getting them back in shape and adding a few upgrades. If I end up with a rifle that I can put a bullet within 6-8 inches of my point of aim at 300-400 yards all the better. If I can't do that, it's likely my lack of ability but will will have had fun shooting and working on them.
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: Hi Two more 91/30's in TX   Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:57 am

very cool a lot of us have done similar things to ours here's a link to mine

Have you slugged the barrel yet.? what size was it.?

of all the things I've done with mine the Timmy trigger has been easiest and best single improvement
the archangel stock is already inletted for it but the stock stock will take some work but totally doable

I'm getting close to actually glass bedding mine now
one of the last big improvements then will redo my camo job
I have the archangel stock and the fit wasn't the best but it is tight the rear tang is actually wider then
the space in the stock putting the screws in wedges it in really tight never have seen any signs of it moving
but this whole build for me has just been so much fun I'd do it even if it didn't need it lol

as far as scope mounts I have an ATI and another member has a rock solid
we have both had some trouble with ours but part of the fun for me has been overcoming these issues
we are both using normal type scopes with standard eye relief
but there are other mounts out there some are for "scout scopes" these are more like pistol scopes and have huge eye relief 
it puts the scope way up on front of the chamber area

advantage - doesn't cover your stripper clip space / you don't need a bent bolt to clear the mount / you can remove the rear
site and use that dovetail that's already on the rear of the barrel

disadvantages - limited in the number of scopes to choose from / scout scopes aren't as accurate because your eye is so far from the scope

it all depends what you want for yours I'll look and see if I can find some of the links I saved when researching this for myself

if I had it all to do over I'd go with the rock solid mount and their bent bolt and be so very careful checking and rechecking
the straightness of EVERYTHING before drilling anything
I think this is the one area that I wasn't careful enough
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hi Two more 91/30's in TX   Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:05 am

+1 to everything Jake said.

Your goal should be easily attainable. Smile 

Do you have any metalworking machinery?
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: Hi Two more 91/30's in TX   Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:25 am

Regular scope mounts

The rock solid mount link

I like everything about this mount but the price

Heres the ATI mount alot cheeper than the rock solid but you get what you pay for

Also it didn’t take long to grow to hate this bent bolt

It’s really small and was so close to my windage turret that if i had any sticky bolt problems

And I did a lot because I’d have no leverage with this tiny bolt handle

When I finally got it opened I’d smash my thumb into the windage turret

Scout scope mounts

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi Two more 91/30's in TX   

Back to top Go down

Hi Two more 91/30's in TX
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum :: Welcome to the world of Mosinitus!-
Jump to: