Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

No photos, but my rifle is ready for hunting season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: No photos, but my rifle is ready for hunting season   Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:53 pm

I got out to a brand new range owned by the NC Dept. of Wildlife last weekend (I say brand new -- it just opened two or three weeks earlier).  I've got three ranges I can shoot my rifle at, now; each is an hour's drive away, but only one is completely free to use: guess which one I went to?

I concluded that the accuracy of my rifle greatly exceeds my ability to hold it steady at a hundred yards; using the Smith Sights target post (smaller than the fiber optic post), it was all I could do to keep the rounds in the black on a 25 yd Small Bore Rifle target -- the black is only about twice the size of the sight post tip -- but at 50 yards, I could keep three round groups within an inch or so of the red center bull (inch diameter), with my arms on the shooting bench (i.e. no direct rest for the rifle).  After a little tweaking (had the sight adjusted for milsurp light ball), the Brown Bear 203 grain JSP rounds were going into a small group centered on the bull with a 6 o'clock hold on the black -- so should be about 6 MoA high at 50, ought to be within a couple inches of perfect at 100.  Meaning, any deer I'm likely to see in the North Carolina woods will be close enough to point blank to require virtually no hold adjustment.

November 15th is the start of rifle season (and it's either sex all season, here); I'll be out in the Robert J Bailey/Caswell gamelands with my orange vest and beanie, and my 1943 Izhevsk long rifle.  Hopefully, I'll come back with a freezer full of roasts, steaks, and sausage this year.  arrgggg
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: No photos, but my rifle is ready for hunting season   Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:23 pm

good luck man hope you score
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: No photos, but my rifle is ready for hunting season   Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Glad to hear from you. Hope you bag a big one.
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: No photos, but my rifle is ready for hunting season   Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Well, life never fails to get in the way.  My girlfriend had to make an emergency run to Alabama (she's still there, trying to clean up a mess after her idiot brother), and the gas money that would have gotten me to the gameland and back went into her truck instead of my van.  Since then, the weather has sucked -- rain or sub-freezing temperatures every Saturday (and in North Carolina, there's no rifle hunting on Sundays, and with no vacation days, no going out on weekdays for me).

I have a five-day weekend over Christmas, with luck I can make it out one or two of those days; and there's always New Year's day (except I have to check if Bailey/Caswell allows hunting six days, or only four, which would be MWF and Sat).  Season ends Jan. 2, and I won't be able to get out that day, either...
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: No photos, but my rifle is ready for hunting season   Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:30 pm

Dang it man. Thats a bummer! Hate to hear that.
  Ya, the weather is starting to get in our way here also.
Back to top Go down
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: No photos, but my rifle is ready for hunting season   Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:17 pm

yep seems we were camping the last good weekend
rained last weekend and supposed to rain again starting tomorrow
got all my load development done got 200 rounds loaded up ready to go
got a new gong with no dents yet and now rain is killing my buzz
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: No photos, but my rifle is ready for hunting season   Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:41 pm

That reminds me. I gotta weld up some holes on my gong. sniper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No photos, but my rifle is ready for hunting season   

Back to top Go down

No photos, but my rifle is ready for hunting season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1