Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Clark The "Mosin Head"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ClarkJr26

PostSubject: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:17 am

Glad to be around fellow people effected by Mosinitus.. I love my 1937(Tula)
Cant wait to add more to the collection! cheers
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Have you slugged the bore buddy?
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
ClarkJr26

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:50 pm

By slugging do you mean, make the diameter smaller?! If so, I have not, im not sure on how to even do that haha... I've shot it though. I only put 30 rounds through mine so far, Can you explain how to "slug" it?!
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:59 am

I sure can. Theres prolly a million different opinions as to what exact slug to use. I use egg shaped and bullet shaped fishing sinkers. I dont recall the sizes. But I take the egg shaped sinkers, and squeeze them on the ends in a vice till I get them at about .312. Then you grease it up a little, stick it in the muzzle end and tap it in with a rubber mallet till its flush with the end of the muzzle. Then use some wooden dowel rods and tap it all the way through the barrel till it falls out the other end. Then measure it.

Now, if you have rather soft sinkers, you can squeeze the sinker to about .315 and hammer it through. But if you have a harder type, I start at .311 and if I dont get a good imprint, then I squeeze it up bigger.

I just round the bullet shaped sinkers and tried one. It was great. But I dont recall its size either.

I forgot about this great link. I will sticky it, since its pretty important to those reloading.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:31 am

Note on the dowels...use HARDWOOD dowels only. Cut them in about 6" sections and just keep adding them till you get the sinker through. Make sure it's a soft lead sinker, walmart sells some that must have more tin in them cuz they are next to impossible to squeeze through a bore. Don't forget the grease on it either, you'll only do that once! I usually lay a soft towel down to catch the sinker, or do it in the living room (carpet).

Also, while tapping the sinker through, watch for a sudden decrease in resistance, this can signal a bulged spot in the barrel, not likely in a Mosin but good to know.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:57 am

mogunner wrote:
Note on the dowels...use HARDWOOD dowels only. Cut them in about 6" sections and just keep adding them till you get the sinker through. Make sure it's a soft lead sinker, walmart sells some that must have more tin in them cuz they are next to impossible to squeeze through a bore. Don't forget the grease on it either, you'll only do that once! I usually lay a soft towel down to catch the sinker, or do it in the living room (carpet).

Also, while tapping the sinker through, watch for a sudden decrease in resistance, this can signal a bulged spot in the barrel, not likely in a Mosin but good to know.

+1 to all that.
Back to top Go down
ClarkJr26

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:21 pm

I will get the stuff for this as soon as I get some money, but the only think I'm confused about is what it is done for? lol is it for cleaning or for "smoothing" out the barrel or just figuring out the diameter of your barrel!? If it helps the gun Ill definitely do it....
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:25 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If your just gonna shoot surplus, its not really needed. If you ever plan to sell it, its always good to know that, might help sell it.
Back to top Go down
ClarkJr26

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Ok so its for reloading,, Which I have No idea or tools for unfortunately..I need to invest in reloading purposes... I've been buying my ammo from my LGS at 6 bucks for 20 rounds,not sure if thats a good or bad price, I just get as many rounds as I can afford at the time...
Back to top Go down
ClarkJr26

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 pm

I hope to never sell my mosin, Im proud to be infected with mosinitus haha
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:36 pm

I'll give you $100 for your mosin if you bring it on down this way. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ClarkJr26

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:10 pm

haha thanks but no thanks,, I need it, but my LGS has plenty of em for the same price,, I went in there yesterday and seen the selection, they had around 40-50 of em. You should def check it out...
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:35 pm

I envy you guys that have LOCAL gun stores. Especially the ones that carry a HUGE selection of all kinds of guns, not just the most modern. The best one we have (that I'm aware of anyway) is more a big box sporting goods store with guns as an afterthought (Scheels sporting goods). They are about 28 miles. Then there's Mills fleet and farm which is about 50 miles from me. Course, that's prolly a good thing. It keeps what little money I have in my pocket. Wink
Back to top Go down
ClarkJr26

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Ya i definitely appreciate my LGS's I actually have 3 of em within 30 miles of me, People round here love their guns haha, probably cuz theres criminals running around every other block, but the more the merrier in my opinion, atleast I know if SHTF I can unite with my townies and we'll be a well armed crew, Well trained im not so sure about because most of the people around me, are just rich and buy guns and store them and never practice with em, I on the other hand go to the range at least a few times every month or every other month,, why buy one and not use it is how I feel lol
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:36 am

We should envy Clark. There is some damn nice ranges up there in Northern IN. Sad

Last edited by SilverTip on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ClarkJr26

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:40 am

make a road trip and we can make a range trip! Ill show my favorite spots..and favorite stores lol
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:02 am

Thats what I pay for 20 rounds of surplus at my LGS, so it seems to be the norm. Only way to beat that is buy a spam can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clark The "Mosin Head"   

Back to top Go down

Clark The "Mosin Head"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1