Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Checking Mosin headspace

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Checking Mosin headspace   Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:06 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are a few sources for headspace gauges around the net. The ones that are gaining a great reputation lately, and are also the least expensive (3 gauges for the price of one Forstner brand gauge) are the FireWerks Headspace Gauges.
You can learn about them here.--->  http://www.firewerks.net./

Below is a pic of the gauge I use that I bought years ago. The Forster field gauge. Works perfect, and been using it for years. Rather than remove the extractor from the bolt, I carefully put a notch in the gauge. Given the precision nature of this tool, I highly recommend NOT doing that unless you know what you are doing. 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by SilverTip on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Checking Mosin headspace   Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:44 pm

I just finished making up a set of headspace gages; I found the dimensions on another forum (I don't recall where, but I could find it again if anyone wants to chase down the reference): Go: 0.065" (that's .001" over the SAAMI spec for the case rim thickness), No-Go: 0.071" (.007" headspace), Field: 0.076" (.012" headspace). I machined these from a scrap of 18-8 stainless I brought home from work, on my Chinese 7x12 mini-lathe; total working time from turning off the threads on the 1" diameter rod to three finished gages was about five hours over three evenings (fully half of that was getting the work piece, later divided into three gages, down to rim diameter of 0.570") -- but considering a set of these, commercially, costs half what I paid for my 91/30, I don't mind spending some lathe time making them up. I'm going to have to notch the rims on my gages, as you did yours; I found the extractor won't slide over the rim of the Go gage, probably because it lacks the deep chamfer found on the rim of a 7.62x54r case, and I'm not willing to risk damaging my extractor by knocking it out of the bolt head.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Checking Mosin headspace   Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Zeiss Ikon wrote:
I just finished making up a set of headspace gages; I found the dimensions on another forum (I don't recall where, but I could find it again if anyone wants to chase down the reference): Go: 0.065" (that's .001" over the SAAMI spec for the case rim thickness), No-Go: 0.071" (.007" headspace), Field: 0.076" (.012" headspace). I machined these from a scrap of 18-8 stainless I brought home from work, on my Chinese 7x12 mini-lathe; total working time from turning off the threads on the 1" diameter rod to three finished gages was about five hours over three evenings (fully half of that was getting the work piece, later divided into three gages, down to rim diameter of 0.570") -- but considering a set of these, commercially, costs half what I paid for my 91/30, I don't mind spending some lathe time making them up. I'm going to have to notch the rims on my gages, as you did yours; I found the extractor won't slide over the rim of the Go gage, probably because it lacks the deep chamfer found on the rim of a 7.62x54r case, and I'm not willing to risk damaging my extractor by knocking it out of the bolt head.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
LVJake7761

PostSubject: Re: Checking Mosin headspace   Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:58 am

back when I got my mosin I bought a head space gauge from amazom

Mosin Nagant Headspace Gauge - 7.62x54r No-go Gauge - By Firewerks
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
it was about  25bux from what I remember
already has a cutout for the extractor very easy to use I keep it In my field tool box
that I take with me to the range every time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Checking Mosin headspace   

Back to top Go down

Checking Mosin headspace
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1