Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
livetooextreme
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:39 am

How interchangeable are 91/30 barrels between 91/30 rifles? For example, buymilsurp.com sells 91/30 barrels. Will I run into any problems with putting a barrel of a different gun onto my 91/30 rifle? Will it require extra gunsmithing to get everything to line up correctly?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Trey
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:57 am

Great questions. Ive done 3 and they all swapped just fine.
Theres 2 things that matter. The indexing of the extractor groove. And headspacing (not likely).

The extractor groove needs to land in the correct spot once the barrel is torqued down. Approx 2:30-5:00. But this isnt a major deal. If it doesnt index perfectly, its usually been close for me. Simply take a dremel and carefully extend the extractor groove downward. And your all set. I didnt need to do that on the ones ive done. But they were all the same factory and year.

Headspacing is more important, and harder to fix. A possible way to fix it, if your tightened barrel doesnt headspace correctly (too much headspace) you can machine the face of the receiver (as true and flat as you can) just a little bit to get the headspace you need. The easiest and safest way would be to try different bolts first.

Stamp atleast 1 indexing mark on the original barrel and receiver before removing.

Last edited by SilverTip on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:00 am

What are you looking for specifically as far as barrels? A specific bore dia? Or just a good condition bore thats not wore out?
I ask, because i ordered a barrel from him also, and its in great shape, but the bore is .314. Not a super big deal. They still make great shooters. And it had strong sharp rifling.
Im just coming to believe that they started making them in .314 after a certain year (just a guess).
Back to top Go down
livetooextreme
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Just an extra barrel that I will cut down to about 22" and then install a muzzle brake. I want to keep the original barrel original and don't want to hack it up.

I'm a greenie to making gun modification so I figured MNs are a cheap enough way to start.

What do you mean by "stamp and index?" I'm guessing you mean make some type of scratch or mark on the barrel and receiver in order to know how the two had previously lined up. What type of tool or how do you make that mark?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:24 pm

I'll but in here for a minute.

Yup, just make a permanent mark of some sort on each side right next to each other so you have a reference point on both pieces. They don't need to large but they need to good enough to not be confused with any normal scratches that might happen.

Indexing is making something line up. As you rotate the barrel onto the receiver it will be indexed when the slot that Silver mentioned is in the same relative (hopefully exact) position that the old barrel was. This isn't necessarily how you will use the stamped mark you made however. That mark will be used to replace the original barrel in case the new barrel won't index correctly. Remember that it has to index in the final position at the same moment that it reaches full torque. However, that may not happen when (if) you have to replace the old barrel. In that case you'll want to stop torquing the barrel as the marks line up exactly.
If Silver has any operational differences he'll note that asap.

Good luck!

ETA-- Take pictures of the chamber area for future reference. Use good light and retake them if they turn out fuzzy. Ya can't take to many pictures.....Really.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:48 am

Randy wrote:
I'll but in here for a minute.

Yup, just make a permanent mark of some sort on each side right next to each other so you have a reference point on both pieces. They don't need to large but they need to good enough to not be confused with any normal scratches that might happen.

Indexing is making something line up. As you rotate the barrel onto the receiver it will be indexed when the slot that Silver mentioned is in the same relative (hopefully exact) position that the old barrel was. This isn't necessarily how you will use the stamped mark you made however. That mark will be used to replace the original barrel in case the new barrel won't index correctly. Remember that it has to index in the final position at the same moment that it reaches full torque. However, that may not happen when (if) you have to replace the old barrel. In that case you'll want to stop torquing the barrel as the marks line up exactly.
If Silver has any operational differences he'll note that asap.

Good luck!

ETA-- Take pictures of the chamber area for future reference. Use good light and retake them if they turn out fuzzy. Ya can't take to many pictures.....Really.

Yup yup and yup! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Pics are always great. Or even video. The more that helps others, the better.

Also, before you screw the barrel in, ink up the chamber face and extractor groove with some die. That way when you put the bolt in and go to close it, if the extractor hits anywhere, you can see it where the ink is scratched away. Some guys use permanent marker just as well. I would use blue or red.

Heres a pic of the chamber face on the bull barrels. The mosin barrel face looks a bit different (simpler) than these. In the pic, just as an example, you can see where the extractor contacted the barrel. This barrel if from a machine gun and used a different bolt and extractor. But you get the idea. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
livetooextreme
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks to both. This is great info.
How much do I should the barrels be torqued to? Also, I'm a little confused about how to line up the new barrel with the index mark on the receiver. Obviously there will be an index mark I placed on the receiver, but the new barrel won't have a mark since I put it on the original, old barrel. How do I index the new barrel?

Also, that is a great idea, SilverTip, about using ink. What are my options if the head gap is too far away. What are my options then?

I read somewhere else that when you a replace a barrel you may need to use a a chamber reamer...what are your thoughts on this?

Sorry if I'm not understanding correctly.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:10 pm

For torque, i dont have an exact number. Ive wondered that myself. My barrel is around 150ft/lb. Maybe a tad less. I know guys that run fine with 200ft/lb.

I been trying to think of a clever way to indicate the new barrel. If you can take your rear sight assembly off of both barrels. That will expose a flat spot on the barrel. But both your old and new barrel up against each other, chamber to chamber. Take 2 blocks of about 3/8" steel and lay each one on the flat spots of the barrels. Then take a longer piece of flat metal (must be straight and flat not twisted) and lay it on each 3/8" block and clamp them down snuggly. This should hold your barrels in the same alignment. Now just transfer the mark from the old barrel to the new barrel. That should get you close enough.

Or, you can just eye ball it using the factory stamping marks that are usually at high noon on these barrels.

When torqing the new barrel in, stop just shy of your desired mark, and put the bolt in. If the bolt hits and/or will not close, go a little bit more and try again. As soon as the bolt closes, stop and check the headspace. If the headspace is loose (too much), torque it a tad more. Just repeat this until your headspace comes within speck. Theres a thread here on how to headspace and where to get the gauges. I recommend buying one for such a project. You can just put it in the 'buy sell or trade' section here if you dont want to keep it.

Theres always the possibility I suppose, that you might need to recut the chamber to get everything aligned. But its a remote chance imo. If that were the case, just throw the old barrel back on.

Really, in alot of cases, if you have an alignment problem, its alot easier to just torque (within reason) to your proper headspace, then just using a dremel, cut a new extractor groove where ever you need it. Thats what I did on my bull barrel.

Heres a cool vid that might explain some things better. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:43 am

Just remember that a lot of places that sell you barrels, will still have a chunk of the receiver on them that you'll have to remove. As much as I like Mark at buymilsurp, since he buys hundreds and hundreds of $$$$ worth of my sight tools, I just picked up a replacement barrel for my T53 from Numrich for around the same price, and with no receiver remnants on it for me to wrestle with. There's also often "clean" barrels listed on Gunbroker as well, I was eying one thats on there now off an M91 as a possible replacement if I couldn't find another M44 or T53 barrel.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:12 am

I got a barrel from Mark, and it was in great shape. It was a .314 barrel. Which I think is normal after a certain year. I used 2 pipe wrenches, and my whole body on the garage floor to get the receiver piece off that one. Took some gruntin. Left a few marks on the barrel, but I knew I wasnt gonna use it since it was .314. And im dont care about cosmetics too much.
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:41 am

Mine's a frankenstein gun anyways, not one serial number matches, it'll have an M44 barrel on a T53 receiver, I'm thinking about cerakoting it and posting pics on the 7.62x54r forums and see how many of the purists die of heart attacks...
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:55 am

mogunner wrote:
I'm thinking about cerakoting it and posting pics on the 7.62x54r forums and see how many of the purists die of heart attacks...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
You got a good source for the Cerakote? Brownells doesnt sell the colors I want. I want the blue titanium and some others. Cerakotes site, (or who evers fucking site it is) is a joke.
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:45 am

Yeah, you have to call the number on the Cerakote site in order to get a login to purchase off the site or so I'm told, haven't done it yet.
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:50 pm

This is a question....I'm wondering if my leg was being pulled or if it's legit....I was told that in order to get a good torque on pipe joints in general (the barrel and receiver qualify as pipes in my book) without a lot of damage to them from the wrenches that if the barrel is heated up really good (not to glowing I guess though [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]) and then torque to about half the intended torque that as the barrel cools it tightens up. Anyone know if there is any truth to that? I've never tried it.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:08 am

Pipe thread tapers. So they are different type of thread.

But yes. As far as heating and or cooling one or the other, that is a trick ive heard of. Never done it. Forgot all bout it till now. Gonna have to try it sometime. Dont know if I can pay the gas bill on heating one of these m.g.barrels. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:14 am

Well, my M44 barrel got here today. Looks good at initial inspection, threads are nice and clean with no nicks, bluing is around 80%, muzzle is nice and tight on a bullet, only get about halfway in before it stops, no counterbore (obviously) rifling looks pretty darn good, I still need to run a few patches through it before I can really tell.

I screwed it into the receiver hand tight, and it still needs about 1/3 of a turn to line up, is that about normal in anyone's experience or am I looking at having to take some metal off the receiver face?
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:23 am

Thats close to normal in my experience. I personally dont like em at 600ft/lbs, so I would face it a bit after some trial fitting. 200ft/lbs is what i shoot for anymore.

Thats where the socket I made came in real handy. I knew approx what ft/lb I was getting with the impact. And it made it nice and quick taking the receiver off and on about 20 times fine tuning everything. I didnt keep notes, but on my bull barrel, i remember being at about 90ft/lbs @ 10mm before lining up.

They are 16tpi, so you can do the math and figure out the advancement per fraction of a turn if need be.
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:50 am

I've got to take the time and make my barrel vise and action wrench before I get to mess with this one, lol... I'm just taking a block of 1'' thick aluminum and drilling a 11/16 or 3/4 inch hole in it (haven't measured the barrel at the point where I want to clamp it) then slice that in two and put it in my bench vise on the barrel, the action wrench will take a bit more machining. I'm thinking 3/4" aluminum with a 1/2" square hole in it for a torque wrench to pop into, but like most ideas it'll probably change as I go, or find out that it won't work for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?    

Back to top Go down

How well do mosin 91/30 barrels interchange?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1