Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 am

Heres a socket I made for removing and installing mosin barrels. I dont recommend using this on a barrel/action that has never been apart from the factory (almost a century of use makes these buggars tight!). I use a slightly more precise tool for breaking these loose for the first time. Then this socket is great for any time there after. Especially continuous assembly/disassembly for checking extractor contact.

I just used a bench vice and drill. The socket is a 36mm.
I will eventually redo the whole thing.... someday...

I used this with a torque wrench for final assembly. I torqued her down to 108ft/lbs to my witness marks. Worked great.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by SilverTip on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
Ape

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:23 am

NICE! That thing looks more evil than a Mosin does! lol
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:36 am

Yeah, What Ape said. Next you will have to demonstrate how it's used. And how you hold the rest of the receiver from twisting. Or .....which end IS inside there anyway?? :confused:

Last edited by Randy on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 am

Thanks. I patterned it after a vagina I once knew.

I think I will call it... Wynona!
Back to top Go down
Ape

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:40 am

SilverTip wrote:
Thanks. I patterned it after a vagina I once knew.

I think I will call it... Wynona!
Laughing

That looks like one painful ass pocket pussy to me! Laughing
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:55 am

Randy wrote:
Yeah, What Ape said. Next you will have to demonstrate how it's used. And how you hold the rest of the receiver from twisting. Or .....which end IS inside there anyway?? :confused:

I can probably do a vid. :bounce:

The rest of the receiver (trigger end) fits inside the socket and is free floating. Once the bolts are tightened down, the receiver kinda self aligns and holds to the center (roughly) of the socket. No twisting.

I do know of a Mosin that is basically a boat anchor. I may try this on it, just to see what happens.
But i only use it for assembly and disassembly there after.
One of the biggest problems with removing these barrels is holding the barrels tight enough without damaging them. Thats why I thought of this. Cause using an impact allows less clamping force on the barrel to be needed. But I will have to make the contact points better before I try to pull a stock mosin apart with it. But my impact is only good to 300ft/lbs anyways. And the heavy socket eats some of that. Neutral

Last edited by SilverTip on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:57 am

Looks like you slide the receiver in there, with the barrel sticking out? Then what, a huge pipe wrench? I got to figure out how to get a stub barrel out of my T53 receiver, I don't have the stuff to fabricate a lot of steel stuff, everything I do is in aluminum. Maybe I'll just toss it in the mail to you... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:57 am

Mo, i'd be more than happy to take her apart for you. But i dont know the legals of shipping receivers around for repair/work.

Since your barrel is no good, that is a plus. You dont have to worry about damaging it. And since you build with aluminum, even better. Start by making yourself a set of these. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You dont need the space aged dog and pony bs those have on them. I have the same ones, but the older version that are just plain aluminum. They work great. Throw some powdered sugar in them to help add to the grip.

Then build yourself the simple wrench I posted in the other thread. You might be able to build a boxed end one strong enough out of aluminum. Question

OR! Another alternative. Using a bandsaw, or a hack saw, cut off the barrel about 1/16th away from the receiver (or as close as possible). This will leave you with a small lip that you will tap with a ball peen. It will flatten out, and tension will be relieved from the receiver face. At this point, you may be able to use a screw driver and tap at an angle and rotate whats left of the barrel out.

Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 am

A 350 ftlb impact will take off far more than something that's torqued to 350 IMHO if the impact is well lubed and in good working order. Although I've beat on nuts on my tractors for as long as twenty minutes before they started moving. I wouldn't suggest that in this case though affraid . I think it would add a extra bit of rifling twist after that much time beating on it.
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:07 am

Mo, We used aluminum wrenches at work for nuts in the three inch range and up. Just a lot lighter and seemed to be just as strong. They were fairly wide though. Prolly about 3/4" for most. After about 4" then we just used a really large aluminum pipe wrench. So nothing wrong with using aluminum. But I guess it has something to do with the type of aluminum. :confused:
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:00 am

I already cut it down to about 2" of the barrel left, didn't want to go too short as I've never tried messing with one of these before. Tried heating it with a propane torch (all I have since I sold all my bodywork shop tools) and I (think) that if I build one of your tools to go around the receiver that it might give me enough oomph to get it loose. I'll look in my material shelf and see what aluminum I have that I can use to make a set of vise jaws, I agree on the "bells and whistles" thing, why line them with plastic, not like the aluminum is going to scar anything...more likely replaceable so that you don't screw up the tool. Ah, just what I need, another project to add to my list... affraid

Forgot to ask if you have a C&R, if so then it'd be no biggie since I do...
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:40 pm

no C&R here Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:43 pm

I don't know if you ever tried this before but I'd be surprised if you haven't. Heat it up really as hot as the propane torch will do it, (BTW Mapp gets hotter) and then dowse the inside of the barrel with ice cold water. It'll shrink the barrel violently, sometimes causing the bond to break completely, or at the very least to weaken. The next way I've done it is to find dry ice and pack the barrel with it before heating the outside. This works better with a rosebud and oxy/acetylene though so you can get fast heat before the dry ice vaporizes. This expands .... well, you know what it's causing. LOL. I don't know if getting a receiver red hot would be a good thing but that would be the best way to loosen them up. A few cycles of orange to red heats with natural cooling between heats. . But like I said , I don't know if that would be a good thing for a receiver?

Now when I say 'barrel' it's not like I've used these tricks on a rifle 'barrel' these were doing things like ring gears, and large bearing races on the cranes I operated and worked on. But metal (for the most part) is still metal and reacts the same regardless. Wink
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:19 pm

When I had my Federal job, we rebuilt the AGT1500 diesel turbine engines that are in the M1 Abrams battle tank. There were quite a few assemblies that one part went into the oven while other parts went into a cooler full of isopropyl alcohol, to which we added a couple big chunks of dry ice, then hung the part in the "liquid" from safety wire for a bit. Made things interesting sometimes...
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:45 pm

OK then, I told you I'd be surprised if you hadn't. cyclops
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:11 pm

Doesn't mean that I thought about it... sometimes the old brain doesn't remember stuff when I want it to! I've got a few things to still try, just not real high on my priority list at the moment, so I'll keep it on the back of the workbench and keep shooting some PB Blaster down the front screw hole from time to time until I get a pause in making these sight tools and swapping tranny in my Neon, then I might remember to mess with it!
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:57 am

Ya, we used oxy/acet. Got it started to turn dark red. Didnt go full orange. I would rather not use so much heat, but havent had any signs of bad juju yet. My buddy has a rockwell tester. I dont know if we could use that to any determination. I sure would liked to have tested a hex I drilled and tapped one time. It literally sounded like I was (slow) drilling into glass. Hardest receiver ive ever ran across.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels   

Back to top Go down

Socket for removing/installing Mosin barrels
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1