Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Homemade concentricity gauge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Homemade concentricity gauge   Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:09 am

If you have the means, this was pretty easy. I used nylon as the case bed, since it was the slickest thing I could find in the shop. I tried polished aluminum, but that had lots of drag. Steel was a little better. But nothing beat the nylon. And its a wiz to machine.

Just bore a 90deg V down the length. For rimmed case's, dont forget to cut a small channel so the rim is free floating. And cut yourself a small backstop with the same bit. Bolt it down, or glue it down.
Slap on a magnet, some rod and a gauge, and it works great.
I can press my finger on the front of the case, and the rear of the case and get no movement. Which is why I built one. I used one a friend of mine had bought, and it just had too much movement subject to the users finger placement (kinda like a 'rocking' movement).

One interesting note. I had a few bullets that gauged about .008-.011 out. I stuck them in the Lee factory crimp die, and it took about .003 out of them each time. Unturned cases.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net

Homemade concentricity gauge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1