Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Not enough headspace on rebarreled T53

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Not enough headspace on rebarreled T53   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Like it says, I changed the barrel on my Omega T53. Now the bolt wont shut all the way, not enough headspace. Tried another bolt, swapped bolt heads, no difference. Colored the end of the barrel and you can see where the bolt head is hitting it.
Any tips or tricks to this? If I face the end of the barrel, will the chamber still be deep enough or will that have to be machined as well? The bolt turns about halfway to full lock before it stops, it's not hitting the extractor as I have the slot timed right for it, it's the actual bolt head touching. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Not enough headspace on rebarreled T53   Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:27 pm

I can't give you a experienced answer but just by figuring on it I would say that you would have to find out where the throat on the chamber is and then see if the bullet is engaging the rifling or how much extra space is there which will determine how much you can face the barrel before you run into problems. But I'm guessing you already knew that and were just wondering how to go about it? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] No clue here. Actually I can see the hard way would be to use a bore light and a fine wire and just stick the wire in the end until you feel it's right at the start of the rifling then measure that length and the length of a few bullets to get an average (or find the specs on them and/or the chamber). The difference will give you the amount of extra barrel chamber you have. Once again I'm sure there is a much easier way. Like grinding the rim off a case and sliding it in the chamber [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] BTW, Hi MO! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Not enough headspace on rebarreled T53   Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 am

Actually I'm in way over my head on this. It's a POS rifle that I am trying to save in any way without spending forty times over what the dang thing cost me. I'm thinking just go ahead and face the barrel, if it doesn't work then I'll cut the end of the barrel off and use it as a fixture in my sight tool "factory". Found an action for a 91/30 for $60 shipped with a good bore, thinking about getting that, cut the barrel down to around 26 inches or so and put it in the T53 stock, use the T53 bolt and mag and see if it'll shoot.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Not enough headspace on rebarreled T53   Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:34 pm

I just now seen this thread. Sleep

You do have about .020" typically before the case shoulder hits the shoulder land in the chamber. So you could possibly take that much off and see how it fits.

Personally, I would look at the locking lugs on the bolt head. Might be easier to throw that in the lathe and take a tad off them.
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Not enough headspace on rebarreled T53   Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:55 pm

Never thought of that... Mad
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Not enough headspace on rebarreled T53   Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:20 pm

Theres a rule with Mosins.
If you over think it, it wont work.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
mogunner
Sponsor
Sponsor

PostSubject: Re: Not enough headspace on rebarreled T53   Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:57 pm

So the RIGHT way to do it would be face the rear of the barrel and have a smith cut the chamber deeper, right? If I alter the bolt head, this will be a ONE bolt gun for sure...I'm thinking about parting it out on ebay and forums and see if I can get enough out of it to get another one, or just say to heck with it. I have my 91/30 that's an excellent shooter, and I've kinda drifted over to my newest toy, a Saiga in 7.62x39 that I just did the conversion on. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not enough headspace on rebarreled T53   

Back to top Go down

Not enough headspace on rebarreled T53
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum :: Mosin 'Improved' Cartridge and all other Mosin Nagant Builds-
Jump to: