Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Hello to the group

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Hello to the group   Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi, group. My name is Donald, and I have Mosinitus. I haven't the budget to really bury myself (even with basic run-of-the-container imports around $120 locally), but since early February I've bought a 1943 Izhevsk 91/30 (ATI import) and gotten the cosmoline out (still need to run a rotary brush into the chamber to prevent case sticking, coming up shortly), bought some stripper clips and a rubber butt pad that replaces the original steel plate. Aside from that and possibly drifting off the rear sight to mount a red dot or scope (both easily reversed), and some improvements to the trigger (reserved for after I shoot it), I plan to leave the rifle in military condition; I very much like the look of the long stock and hand guard, "dog collars", and straight bolt.

I do plan to reload brass case, Boxer primed ammunition (looks like Prvi Partizan is reasonably priced and suitable), convert spent steel/Berdan cases with shotgun primers and very light ("cat sneeze") loads for rabbit or squirrel, cast bullets or round balls to support the last, and use the rifle for hunting both small game and deer this coming fall.

This 91/30 is the first high power rifle I've owned (I have a 1950s vintage Crosman air rifle, and in the past owned a Glenfield -- made by Marlin for Sears -- tube magazine bolt .22 and a Marlin branded tube semi-auto .22, along with a .357 lever carbine); I've fired .300 Win Mag and 7 mm Mag in the past and didn't find them unpleasant, so I don't expect the Mosin to be a big flinch inducer. I hope to get a case of surplus ammunition by summer, so I can afford to shoot enough to get my eye in -- and I'd like to attend an Appleseed event, if I can afford it and get enough ammunition in hand (minimum 500 rounds, they say, and twice that is recommended if there's a second shooting day offered). They claim one can shoot the Appleseed qualifying test with a bolt action, but I'm not sure a 5 round magazine and stripper will do the job (one task is 50 seconds, standing start with sitting shooting position, 2 rounds, reload, then 8 rounds -- but all the 10 round courses would require at least one reload with the Mosin). I could buy a .22 semi-auto and a couple bricks of quality rounds for the price of the ammunition I'd burn in the Mosin, but where's the fun in that? Laughing

Edit: correct manufacture date, that's 1943, not 1934.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello to the group   Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:44 pm

Ahoy matey!

I really liked that PRVI brass. I have Winchester and PRVI. And I noticed that the PRVI has a slightly deeper primer pocket, and the primer seats much nicer. The Winchester brass was ok, but I had a helluva time just gettin the primers FLUSH with the case head. Let alone below flush.

But given the 2 different primer depths between the two, my Mosin eats em both up no problem.

Take your mosin to the apple seed. You'll wish you had.
You dont train for a marathon by riddin in a car. Right? Wink

A friend of mine buys Nagant pistol ammo for his cat sneeze loads. He uses half the powder and the projectile from the Nagant round.
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Hello to the group   Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:54 pm

SilverTip wrote:
Ahoy matey!

I really liked that PRVI brass. I have Winchester and PRVI. And I noticed that the PRVI has a slightly deeper primer pocket, and the primer seats much nicer. The Winchester brass was ok, but I had a helluva time just gettin the primers FLUSH with the case head. Let alone below flush.

But given the 2 different primer depths between the two, my Mosin eats em both up no problem.

Take your mosin to the apple seed. You'll wish you had.
You dont train for a marathon by riddin in a car. Right? Wink

A friend of mine buys Nagant pistol ammo for his cat sneeze loads. He uses half the powder and the projectile from the Nagant round.

Given the firing pin protrusion and spring power, I expect a Mosin will reliably fire pretty much any primer that it actually strikes (might be an interesting bet whether it'd pop a .50 BMG primer -- I'd be on the "yes" side). For Appleseed, yeah, I need to check if I can fire 5 and 5 on the reload task for the AQT, or have to load two, and then reload a second time (I hear they've made allowance for tube magzines from time to time) -- but I'd MUCH rather take and shoot the Mosin, especially given my local Appleseed venue actually has a second day shoot for all who qualify, with real ranges to 500 yards.

7.65 Nagant revolver rounds? That's what, a 90 or 100 grain lead bullet at somewhere between 800 and 1100 at the muzzle? That gives me a start -- lacking anything better, I was going to start with a 45 grain round ball or 0 buck (sized) over 5 grains of Bullseye (said not to require filler because the powder ignites so readily). If they weren't $15 each, I'd load up a stripper of .32 ACP conversion cases for this, but not on my budget. I wonder if I could figure a way to convert spent steel cases for this, at a reasonable cost in material and labor?
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello to the group   Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:10 am

I cant find one for 54r but one of these could probably be modified to work if one had a lathe. ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Hello to the group   Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:32 am

I've seen conversion sleeves advertised in 7.62x54r for 7.62 Tokarev and .32 ACP (at least one will also accept .32 Long Colt) -- they're around. There's also the Candian made Game Getter, which replaces the head of a cartridge with an insert that has an off center chamber and uses .22 loads for Powder Actuated Tools to drive a round ball sized in a supplied swage -- but those are around $45 for the kit (one case, sizing piece, and a few pre-sized buckshot), and you have to pry out the spent power load after each shot -- slower even than using a dowel to push out the spent case in a .32 ACP conversion.

I wouldn't expect a .303 to convert well to 7.62x54r; the Russian case is a good bit wider at the head, while the .303 is longer at the shoulder (the latter why rechambering a .303 to 54r doesn't work well -- you get a double shoulder on fire cases because the reamer doesn't "clean up"). What I have considered is filling spent cases with JB Weld or similar, boring them through on the lathe to inside neck diameter, then counterboring from the head end to install a steel liner. I'd have to obtain a .32 ACP (or .32 Long Colt) chambering reamer, though, in order to have the pistol case headspace correctly, and it'd take a couple hours (plus overnight curing for the epoxy) to make each case, and then there'd be the accuracy impact of the long bullet jump before reaching the rifling; much more practical to just make up "cat sneeze" loads in cases bored for a shotgun primer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello to the group   

Back to top Go down

Hello to the group
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1