Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Deals on surplus ammo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Deals on surplus ammo   Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:38 pm

I went to order a case of surplus ammo for my 91/30 last night -- and wound up having to think hard about it. I went to SGAmmo after checking all my links, as having the best price on early 1970s Russian or Bulgarian light ball ($140/case of 880 plus $26 shipping, for Russian), but there was a tempting alternate as well: they're selling 600 rounds of Russian light ball loaded on stripper clips for $125 plus $25 shipping. With strippers running about $1 each in quantity and 120 of them in the case, that's like getting 600 rounds for $30 plus the time it takes to pull the rounds off the clips or shoot them, and resell the clips.

In the end, I went with the 880 rounds, only because the stripper clip loaded rounds were running all the way back to the end of the Great Patriotic War. I've read reports recently that corrosive primed rounds from even that long ago still fire well, but I'd be concerned about deterioration of the nitrocellulose in the airtight case after sixty-plus years -- that's the time frame in which, for instance, nitrate base photographic film stored in sealed cans can reach the point it starts to spontaneously combust (in a round, that level of reaction would fire the round, albeit at reduced energy, like a weak cook-off at room temperature). If I were only using the rounds for plinking, I'd probably have gone ahead with the stripper loaded rounds -- but I'm planning to use them to shoot the Appleseed with my 91/30, and I need ammunition I can depend on for reasonable accuracy; rounds that may have changed ballistics in storage, might have inconsistent ignition, or might even occasionally misfire don't seem like a good choice for that.

BTW, AmmunitionToGo has the same price for the same stripper-loaded ammunition (though most of their prices are a bit above SGAmmo), but they don't disclose their shipping up front, so I can't say if the shipping cost is similar.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Deals on surplus ammo   Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:32 am

Interesting info.
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Deals on surplus ammo   Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:09 pm

The crate arrived UPS today -- fifty-four pounds. Inside the cardboard box was an original Russian wood crate (I didn't know those things had handles on the ends?!); it took me about ten minutes to get the lid off (had to break one screw; forty years of rust had it locked into the wood tightly enough I tore the slot out of the head backing it up less than three turns). Inside the crate were the expected pair of spam cans and opener. The cans are in fine shape, paint intact and no visible rust; the rounds inside should be perfect. I need to find a couple hinges and a hasp, and reglue the finger joints at the corners of the crate, and I can use the crate to carry stuff (maybe take my lunches to Appleseed in it).

I was very pleased with SGAmmo's prompt service; I placed the order fairly late Friday evening, it shipped on Monday and arrived on Thursday (ground, Oklahoma to North Carolina). The price was pretty much unbeatable, also, and these rounds are about the same age (1973, factory 188, Novosibirsk) and should be similar condition to the Bulgarian light ball I bought a couple months ago (which has been all I could ask short of brass/Boxer cases). I'm planning to take the entire crate with me to Ramseur for Appleseed (I'm registered for October 20-21); by then I should have either a scope or adjustable front sight (if not both), so I'll be able to sight in for the rounds during the Appleseed sight in process. They say to expect to fire up to 400 rounds per day -- I'll be *really* glad to have that recoil pad by the time I'm done...
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Deals on surplus ammo   Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 am

73/188 should have silver paint on the tips. Also, if your used to bulgarian, your in for a treat with these. Much more consistent.
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Deals on surplus ammo   Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:09 am

SilverTip wrote:
73/188 should have silver paint on the tips. Also, if your used to bulgarian, your in for a treat with these. Much more consistent.

I haven't opened the cans yet, but these were sold as "silver tip" -- 148 grain steel core light ball -- and there's a silver stripe on the cans.

Yes, everything I hear is that the Russian ammo is the standard all other 7.62x54r surplus didn't quite live up to. Then again, we'll have to see if my particular 91/30 likes it; if not, I'll have a LOT of rounds I can disassemble and rebuild...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deals on surplus ammo   

Back to top Go down

Deals on surplus ammo
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1