Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ampersand

PostSubject: Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips   Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:12 pm

I bought a case of this from J&G:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
It looks pretty good and ammo on stripper clips has been hard to find for some time. It looks like the purchase was a pretty good value to me. 60 stripper clips and 300 rounds of ammo to a tin - 2 tins to a case. Cost just under $165 delivered.
I can't tell you how it shoots because I don't have a rifle to shoot it in!

Searching the web turns up 10 stripper clips for $15 -- about $1.50 per clip for reproduction clips. Reproduction clips don't have very good reputations for working well. These clips have the Izhevsk stamp on them so they are genuine Russian and I expect them to work well. Russian clips appear to bring about $2 each - or more - when they are available.

Figure this was 120 clips for $165 delivered with ammo on the clips. That's less than $1.50 per clip and the ammo is free.

I've opened one tin and will divide the clips between myself and 3 others. The other tin will be left unopened against future need.

I think a guy could sink a small investment into a few cases and when these dry up on the market sell the clips for a couple or 3 dollars each and have ammo for free with a profit -- if he's of a mind to ... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by ampersand on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips   Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 am

Nice. SGAmmo has (or had, a couple weeks ago) the same packaging for a few dollars less. I passed on it in favor of early 1970s vintage, a couple cents less per round in a case lot, because I was concerned about the age (they were giving dates before 1950), and the twenty repro strippers (cost 20/$20) that I have are working very well for me so far. It was tempting, though -- as you note, the ammunition is almost free if you figure the strippers at a dollar each; I passed it only because I was buying for an upcoming Appleseed and was concerned about consistency (the first thing that will go when the powder starts to deteriorate -- which nitrocellulose will generally do, in a sealed container like a cartridge, in fifty to seventy years), which of course equates to accuracy.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips   Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:38 am

Nice!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And good idea on hoarding and selling later. Would almost surely be lucrative. But im with Zeiss on the age factor. I have no doubt those rounds will run fine. But I would expect double the velocity inconsistancy from them compared to the late 70's vintage. But I could be wrong. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Can you give us the headstamp numbers? And a clear pic of the front of the box (where the writing is)?
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips   Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:24 pm

The ammo has a small 60 and directly across (180 degrees) is a 52 I'm not good enough with a camera to get a picture of that.

The writing on the ammo can is pretty well obscured but here's what I got:
Back to top Go down
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips   Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Here's another picture of the wood crate:
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips   Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:25 pm

The factory/date code is clear on the end of the crate -- III-52 indicates factory III (same as 17, according to reference at 7.62x54r.com), made in 1952. The Korean War was still hot, and the French were just getting well involved in what was then called Indochina. The Soviet Union was completing work on its first thermonuclear bomb, using information given them by Americans recruited to spy for them (the Rosens were later executed for this).

The primers in rounds this old are almost certainly fine, but the powder may be starting to deteriorate (this depends to some extent on the average and extremes of storage temperature -- which we have no way to know); I'd expect rounds in this age range to fire pretty reliably, but velocity variation will hurt accuracy. Do be on the lookouts for squibs -- if you get a misfire or weak report, assume the primer lodged the bullet in the rifling and check the bore before trying to fire another round (the original cleaning rod and jag will probably suffice to push the bullet back to the chamber). Just jacking in another round and pulling the trigger would be a very, very bad idea...
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips   Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:53 am

Zeiss Ikon wrote:
The factory/date code is clear on the end of the crate -- III-52 indicates factory III (same as 17, according to reference at 7.62x54r.com), made in 1952. The Korean War was still hot, and the French were just getting well involved in what was then called Indochina. The Soviet Union was completing work on its first thermonuclear bomb, using information given them by Americans recruited to spy for them (the Rosens were later executed for this).

The primers in rounds this old are almost certainly fine, but the powder may be starting to deteriorate (this depends to some extent on the average and extremes of storage temperature -- which we have no way to know); I'd expect rounds in this age range to fire pretty reliably, but velocity variation will hurt accuracy. Do be on the lookouts for squibs -- if you get a misfire or weak report, assume the primer lodged the bullet in the rifling and check the bore before trying to fire another round (the original cleaning rod and jag will probably suffice to push the bullet back to the chamber). Just jacking in another round and pulling the trigger would be a very, very bad idea...

And thanks Amp! Now keep meticulous records of each shot and let us know how they shoot. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips   Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:58 pm

I posted here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
about the 91/59 I bought.

I took the carbine and ammo shooting today. The Izhevsk stripper clips worked great. Easy to load and no rimlock. These worked better than any other MN stripper clips I've used.

The ammo shot great. No hangfires and we were able to offhand pie plate size groups at 75 yards.

Given the crappy sights I'll probably never be able to do better wit hit.

I'm pleased.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips   Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Glad to hear that fifty-plus year old ammo is okay. Nearly free (after reselling the strippers) is good, and Russian mil-surp strippers have a very strong reputation as the best (though from my understanding an experience, rim lock is more to do with the rifle's magazine interrupter than the strippers -- the stripper quality determines ease of loading, more than anything else). I'll be another several weeks before I shoot any of the 1972 silver tips I bought a week or so before you got these; I'm saving them for the Appleseed (where I'll be on October 20-21), when I'll want/need 400 or so rounds that are all the same.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips   

Back to top Go down

Shot It: 91/59 and 7.62x54R on Izhevsk Stripper Clips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1