Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ampersand

PostSubject: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:18 pm

Today I picked up the 91/59 I paid for last month.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Hex receiver 1932 Tula

School year started today so I will probably not get a chance to shoot it before this weekend.

Okay, I need a sling. I've got some ammo pouches and ammo on stripper clips. What else do I need to make t complete? I looked around the intarwebbz and Mosin accessories appear to have dried up. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:57 am

SWEET!!! Thats a keeper! A hex 91/59 is slightly rare.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ive probably got a sling you can have. I will dig around and look.

I guess you will want an oil bottle and cleaning kit.

Heres a good place for acc. Looks like they got slings in stock.

I should have more than one mosin kit laying around. I will have a gander.
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:57 am

Whats the bore measure out to?

Back to top Go down
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:06 am

Many thanks! Good information on the rifle and a lot more details than I was curious about.

I hadn't planned on getting a cleaning kit but I guess I'll add it to the list after all.
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:40 pm

ampersand wrote:
Many thanks! Good information on the rifle and a lot more details than I was curious about.

I hadn't planned on getting a cleaning kit but I guess I'll add it to the list after all.

The cleaning kit does come in handy. Especially the f-pin gauge. I use the kit all the time. I have a carbon fiber rod but the cleaning rod that comes with is good too. I'm still scrubbing copper fouling out of my bore. I haven't yet bought any borescubber compound and probably won't for some time. The brass brush works just fine followed by a nylon brush. Even with that my Mosin is a better shot than I am off sandbags. It hits where I aim it and that isn't usually where I want the bullit to hit lol!
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:34 pm

A good method for removing fouling (ive been told) is those copper brillo pads also. I have some, but havent tried it yet since I have a chrome bore.
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:41 pm

I really don't think the amount of fouling I have is enough to for me to worry about. I can't see it with the naked eye and so it might also be the residue of the brass in contact with the Hoppes I'm seeing. I read that brass brushes leave blue streaks similar to dissolved copper on a clean patch when used with #9. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:45 am

Sorry, missed this one. I haven't slugged the bore and hadn't planned to. I'm assuming you're gathering data so I'll try to get a couple of sinkers and check it for you. Please don't hold your breath; this isn't something you can depend on me remembering to do.
SilverTip wrote:
Whats the bore measure out to?

Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:47 pm

Its no problem amp. Really, its more for you than me. Knowing your exact bore dia helps you determine the best projectile size for best accuracy (also you may find a .308 bore.... rarely). Based on what your gun is, immuh guess its a .310" idk

Its usually one of the last things people check, and imo, its the first that should be checked (if accuracy is the top priority). But... im still trying to figure out a way to get gun shops to let me slug before I buy. Suspect

I do understand that most folks just want to blast stuff at 1-2moa. And aint nuthin wrong with that. Ive layed my share of bowlin pins, and semi brake drums to rest.
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Just thinkin out loud here, is it a matter of they won't let you or it's just too much trouble to do?

Anyway, if it's the bother, couldn't some preformed slugs be built to say 0.312 with a slightly tapered end on one end and a flat bottom and just carry in a wooden hickory ramrod and a small ballpeen to tap the slug through? I've never slugged a barrel so I don't know all the specifics to doing it. Even use some hard wax maybe.? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Inquiring minds would like to know. Laughing
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Ive always just assumed a retailer wouldnt let me hammer chunks of metal down their bores. idk Liability sake? Hell, alot of shops dont even want you to remove the bolt.

Im workin on a solution though. interesting
Back to top Go down
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:58 pm

I posted about ammo I bought.

And here about the carbine.
I finally got out shooting with them today and ...

The ammo worked great. No hang fires and the accuracy seemed acceptable. Given the crappy sights pie-plate size groups at 75 and 100 yards.

The Izhevsk stripper clips were easy to use and fed very well. I'd heard some complaints about them but I think they're the best MN stripper clips I've ever used.

Four of us shot today and the only complaint was from one guy who didn't hold the rifle right. None of us thought it uncomfortable to fire. I actually liked the rifle -- and I've never cared for a Mosin I've fired. The action worked smooth and never stuck at all; I certainly had no need of a 2x4 to open it.

We took a bunch of guns along and I had a couple of other milsurps to share.

Altogether, a pretty good day.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:27 am

ampersand wrote:
I actually liked the rifle -- and I've never cared for a Mosin I've fired. The action worked smooth and never stuck at all; I certainly had no need of a 2x4 to open it.

shweet

Sounds like you got a really nice keeper! Careful..... dont get infected. Wink
Back to top Go down
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:38 am

I've got a sort've half-assed cold-war Warsaw Pact 'collection' going on: CZ82s, Makarov, P64s, FEG PA63, several Tokarevs, etc. along with a Russian and Chinese SKS. This fits right in for the time period. I'm not serious about it but they are all fun guns to shoot. I have to admit I enjoy the Toks (especially my Russian) and the '54 Tula SKS the best.
SilverTip wrote:

Sounds like you got a really nice keeper! Careful..... dont get infected. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF   

Back to top Go down

I've got a 91/59 Need STUFF
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1