Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Hello From ND

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SpaceManKen

PostSubject: Hello From ND   Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Hello to all from ND! It gets kinda cold up here but lately I have enjoyed some warm winters. Its great to see there are others that share the same interest as I do. I have started to do a but more along the lines of restoring sniper versions of the M-N. My wife thinks I am nuts, but I am having fun! Smile
Back to top Go down
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: Hello From ND   Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:08 am

I'll toss you a welcome even though I'm not a frequent flyer here.

Good guys here and they can help you with Mosin information. If you have knowledge to share that's even better.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello From ND   Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:54 am

Welcome SpaceManKen! Awesome to have someone from ND on here.
Restoring the snipers is a noble venture for sure. I probably should make a catagory just for that. ? Another guy on here is restoring his sniper he found on accident. Curious to know how many folks are doin that. ?

Has your wife shot one yet?

Its sounds like youve restored a few snipers.? If you think there needs to be an all in one resource for such a task, let me know. We can set you guys up here with a place to compile info (if there isnt already one out there?).

And im ALWAYS glad to hear about warm winters! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Hello From ND   Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:31 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] from Iowaaah.

One Mosin here. Like shooting it. My problem is space. No place to shoot over a hundred yards to really see if I can see that far LOL. I can shoot a hundred yards M/L in my yard. But my berm is only about 3 feet high so I have to be really careful. There are two houses about a mile away in that direction and it's all downhill from the range so the boolits would easily make it that far. What a Face And since I haven't met them I don't know if shooting that way is a good thing or not. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] or is it??? Suspect cyclops [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Hello From ND   Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:35 pm

If your berm is only three feet and there are houses only a mile away, shooting that direction is undeniably a bad idea. It only takes one stray bullet to ruin a lot more than your day.

I'd suggest you consider constructing a bullet trap, something along the lines of cribbed railroad ties forming a three foot thick box, four or five feet tall, filled with earth or sand, plus an angled roof (also of ties) on the side you shoot from. The combination of two layers of ties plus three feet of sand ought to reliably catch anything a Mosin can toss, and the roof will act as a backstop to catch anything that might stray high (even if the bullets penetrate the ties -- unlikely if you angle the roof at something like 30ยบ from horizontal, high end toward your shooting position -- they'll give up so much velocity in transit that they won't reach the houses).

Alternately, take a look at another thread I'm about to post...
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Hello From ND   Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:46 pm

I don't shoot the Mosin here much. The houses are not in the direct line of fire but off to either side by a couple hundred yards. In the direct line of fire there is nothing but two gravel roads for miles in that direction. And if I miss the berm they are 54 vertical feet below my position and 3/4 mile away so any missed shots would go overhead. Not likely anyone would be in that vicinity anyway way out here in the country. But I do agree shit happens and that would be the ultimate pile of doodoo. I have a brush and tree pile and a line of live trees behind the berm also. Not enough to stop a 7.62 but enough to slow it down immensely. I actually think my place is safer than the county range; the only other place there is to shoot in this backwards state. For a state that has only one tourist attraction (hunting) (kidding) and every house has at least a cabinet full of rifles there really is no place to shoot that isn't on someones private property. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My pistol range is towards my timber in the opposite direction and aimed right at my closest neighbor who is about a half mile down the road on my side. I have a small berm on that side also and don't allow anyone to just shoot into my trees. Besides I might need to cut those trees down one day and I don't need to cut through the bullets. Very Happy

ETA-This is my place. Top is north. Red line on homestead is range angle.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Roads are one square mile apart.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello From ND   

Back to top Go down

Hello From ND
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum :: Welcome to the world of Mosinitus!-
Jump to: