Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:54 pm

Yes, you heard me, you can shoot your Mosin in your basement, back yard (as long as you don't have neighbors who'll call the cops as soon as they see a rifle, without checking if it's actually making rifle noises) -- heck, I just shot mine down the hall and through most of the living room testing the concept.

I've been working on converting fired steel cases from surplus ammunition to use 209 shotgun primers, originally for "rabbit loads" or "cat sneeze" ammunition. I had ten cases I'd actually primed sitting around waiting for me to come up with a better way to drill the primer pockets, when I ran across some information that answered another question I'd been asking myself for a while -- which was whether airsoft BBs would stand up to being forced through a rifle barrel.

Now, most airsoft ammunition is 6 mm diameter, which would rattle in my .300" bore, never mind engage the rifling, but airsoft BBs are also available in 8 mm size -- it fits only a very limited range of airsoft guns, being used mostly in various kinds of airsoft grenades (I gather they expel a spray of 8 mm balls when triggered, to simulate fragmentation). My concern had been whether they were too brittle to survive being compressed from .318" to fit a .313" groove barrel. What I found out, however, is that someone called BT Sniper sells a bullet swaging setup that uses 8 mm airsoft as fillers in hollow point bullets -- along with photos of the BB after being squashed pretty well in the nose forming die.

That was my cue -- I found a bag of ICS 8 mm (1 kg, 2048 pieces) on eBay. I stuck one of those in the mouth of a fired case (not sized, just left as fired in the same rifle I was using for the test); it went in just about to the equator and held nicely in place with little effort. I closed my lady, the dog and cat up in her computer room for a few minutes, chambered the round (209 primer and airsoft BB, no powder used), and fired at a target stuck to a box full of phone books that I'd kept around after sighting in my air rifle last winter for rabbit season.

The report was very mild, less than a toy cap by a good margin; probably not even audible outside the house. I could tell by a couple small sparks ejected from the muzzle that the ball hadn't lodged in the bore, and when I examined the target, I found that, at 25 feet, I'd hit an inch or so low and the same distance right, with the 7.4 grain, 8 mm ball embedded almost a half inch into the phone books and still in one piece.

If you have Boxer primed brass, this should work about as well with a Large Rifle Magnum primer as with a 209 (though you might find you need to drill the flash hole oversize to prevent primers from setting back -- not a problem with the 209, which has its own internal flash hole), but the real beauty is the ability to convert otherwise scrap cases (steel/Berdan surplus type) into something of actual use. The cases should last virtually forever, the shoulders won't set back as they would in a rimless cartridge (the case can't push forward in the chamber because the rim keeps it in place), and noise level is comparable to that of a party balloon popping. This is the equivalent of wax or plastic bullets in a handgun, hot glue bullets made in a bullet mold, etc., for the Mosin Nagant. I haven't tried it, but if you were to seat these BBs just a hair deeper (to or just past the equator), they'd probably even feed from the magzine.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:10 pm

shweet

I know a guy that does something close to this to size his brass. Put a small powder charge in.
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm not being an alarmist here but 1/2" into a phone book? How does that compare? Are airsoft guns the ones used to play 'shoot each other' with like paintball? Counter-intuitive if you ask me. I was raised to not aim a gun at anything you didn't plan on killing. That doesn't mean I wouldn't play paintball however. But if a airsoft pellet penetrates that much you aren't recommending using this setup for gaming right? Just for target fun? Ya know there will be some moron out there use it to shoot someone thinking it will only sting. Can't fix stupid ya know. Twenty years ago thoughts like this would have never even entered my mind since more people seemed to use common sense back in the day. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:40 pm

Randy wrote:
Ya know there will be some moron out there use it to shoot someone thinking it will only sting. Can't fix stupid ya know.

Shhhh... just let nature take its course Randy.

Last edited by SilverTip on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:01 pm

When I was a kid my dad let me set up a .22 range in the basement.

If I had a basement I'd have no problem shooting there today.

Many years ago roommates and I would shoot in our apartment. CB caps and loud music seemed to work pretty well.

Our backstop was a large cardboard box filled with newspaper.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Randy wrote:
But if a airsoft pellet penetrates that much you aren't recommending using this setup for gaming right? Just for target fun?

This is in the same class as plastic bullets and wax bullets -- target shooting with rounds that won't escape a house if you miss the target, and won't kill anyone if they do hit (1/2" in a phone book is less than my .22 air rifle does -- by about three inches -- and comparable to what I'd expect from a steel BB shot from a kid's spring piston gun). Shooting at other people? Bad idea with anything propelled by a primer, compressed air, or even stretched rubber (I don't even like the idea of paintball -- there's always someone who'll overdo things, hopping up his gun to 500 ft/s or more and freezing the paint so people will be less likely to deny hits, and a frozen .68 paintball at 500 ft/s will break bones or destroy an eyeball, even if it probably won't kill).

ampersand wrote:

I wouldn't worry much about an air rifle range or shooting primer powered plastic/wax bullets in a basement, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with powder driven bullets unless inside a completely enclosed alley that can capture the bullet no matter how far off target the discharge -- otherwise, a negligent discharge could go through the ceiling (the upstairs floor), a window, etc. and kill someone (and don't think a .22 Long Rifle, even from a handgun, can't do it). There's also the matter of legality -- in some jurisdictions, even a primer-powered round like mine (or the classic wax or plastic bullets), no matter how safe, is illegal in the city or county unless on a "designated range"; many of those even ban air-powered guns, bows, and slingshots (Seattle is a fine example -- a kid's slingshot is illegal to discharge). Applying for a range permit for your basement range seems like a pretty likely way to be sure the local cops spend more time looking at your house than they should (compared to trying to find the gang-bangers doing the drive-by thing).
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:28 pm

SilverTip wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I know a guy that does something close to this to size his brass. Put a small powder charge in.

You're talking about fire forming, right? To get the brass to a perfect fit for the chamber before reloading with neck sizing only for best accuracy and longest brass life? I always read that fire forming was best done with loads on the light end of "normal", possibly with some filler in the case to ensure a good fill out of the chamber -- and with a regular bullet. I doubt you could get enough pressure under an 8 mm BB in a Mosin's bore to blow out the brass, even with a grain or two of Bullseye -- but you could make sure that even a 7.4 grain ball is dangerous. With just the primer, these would draw blood and probably do serious damage to an unprotected eye, but they're less likely to be lethal than even a lead pellet from an air rifle (which, in the higher power Benjamin models, used to kill about one kid every third or fourth year). Definitely nowhere close to a fire forming load...
Back to top Go down
ampersand

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:30 am

Things are, often unfortunately, much different today than they were back when these events occurred. The floor and subflooring were early-20th-century tough. Also, the basement had windows but was unfinished so air constantly circulated. As for laws -- things were more relaxed in those days when American values still existed. Y'know, before Kennedy's assassination allowed LBJ into the White House.
Zeiss Ikon wrote:

ampersand wrote:

I wouldn't worry much about an air rifle range or shooting primer powered plastic/wax bullets in a basement, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with powder driven bullets unless inside a completely enclosed alley that can capture the bullet no matter how far off target the discharge -- otherwise, a negligent discharge could go through the ceiling (the upstairs floor), a window, etc. and kill someone (and don't think a .22 Long Rifle, even from a handgun, can't do it). There's also the matter of legality -- in some jurisdictions, even a primer-powered round like mine (or the classic wax or plastic bullets), no matter how safe, is illegal in the city or county unless on a "designated range"; many of those even ban air-powered guns, bows, and slingshots (Seattle is a fine example -- a kid's slingshot is illegal to discharge). Applying for a range permit for your basement range seems like a pretty likely way to be sure the local cops spend more time looking at your house than they should (compared to trying to find the gang-bangers doing the drive-by thing).
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:32 am

Zeiss Ikon wrote:
SilverTip wrote:

You're talking about fire forming, right? To get the brass to a perfect fit for the chamber before reloading with neck sizing only for best accuracy and longest brass life? I always read that fire forming was best done with loads on the light end of "normal", possibly with some filler in the case to ensure a good fill out of the chamber -- and with a regular bullet. I doubt you could get enough pressure under an 8 mm BB in a Mosin's bore to blow out the brass, even with a grain or two of Bullseye -- but you could make sure that even a 7.4 grain ball is dangerous. With just the primer, these would draw blood and probably do serious damage to an unprotected eye, but they're less likely to be lethal than even a lead pellet from an air rifle (which, in the higher power Benjamin models, used to kill about one kid every third or fourth year). Definitely nowhere close to a fire forming load...

Ya. He would put in I think a half dose of powder (dont recall exactly) and I think some cotton wadding. I'll have to ask again. I dont remember. But he used to shoot comp back in the 70's and thats how he fireformed his brass.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:19 pm

ampersand wrote:
Things are, often unfortunately, much different today than they were back when these events occurred. The floor and subflooring were early-20th-century tough. Also, the basement had windows but was unfinished so air constantly circulated. As for laws -- things were more relaxed in those days when American values still existed. Y'know, before Kennedy's assassination allowed LBJ into the White House.

I won't argue that, in most cases, increased legal restrictions do more harm than good. Nor will I argue about changes in construction -- I've lived in houses where the walls were sheathed with 3/4" oak plank on both sides, where in a modern one you'll get drywall inside and something akin to Masonite under the vinyl siding on the exterior. It's a lot easier to punch in an electrical box or route network cable in modern construction, but the old ones stood up to heavy weather a great deal better.

Sad to say, though, we live in the modern world; few of us have the old style construction and virtually all of us have modern laws on our heads. The days of being able to routinely shoot a .22 in your basement are long gone (heck, my house hasn't even got a basement; I'm in radon country and basements cause lung cancer here), though I'm confident those with the financial resources could build an underground range in their backyards that would pass the city's or county's tests -- built with cut-and-fill methods and precast slabs, shouldn't cost more than $25,000 or so (don't forget sump pumps and ventilation in your plans). For myself, I can drive to my range (60 miles each way) for a lot of years before I equal that kind of expenditure.
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Why not just do it the easy way? Instead of building underground, build an enclosed range above ground. it's actually really easy and the potential to be really inexpensive is there but not likely. If you happen by a construction area where they are replacing concrete sewer pipe in the 48" size stop and see if they can give it away. Normally it's just going to the landfill anyway. grab as many pieces as needed to make a tube as long as you want and build a berm (or bullet trap) at one end two feet higher than the horizontal line of the top of the pipe about four or five feet from the end of the pipe so you can access your targets. Then shoot through the tube. it muffles the noise a little bit (not much) and contains the bullets very well. If the pipe can be had for free then it's only a matter of cost for the rental of the machines to install it. That would be a fairly large machine I might add. A 48" cast and reinforced sewer pipe 8' long will weigh about 3-1/2 ton (6944lbs) each. That'll mean a pretty good size excavator to move them around and set them in place. Just thinkin out loud.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 pm

The problem is that the pipe-and-berm above ground range won't fly with most municipalities for a private range, where an underground one, completely enclosed with concrete, almost certainly will. As a bonus, moving slabs weighing around a half ton each is a lot easier than moving pipe weighing multiple tons per section without breaking it -- with an A-frame and winch, one man can move each slab. Even easier, in terms of manpower (and possibly cheaper) is filled concrete block -- conventional concrete block construction, with the hollow cores filled with poured concrete. Concrete block won't stand up long -- even a .357 Magnum can break up the individual blocks, never mind a Mosin -- but filled block, especially if two layers thick, will just spall at the point of impact, even with steel core surplus 7.62x54r, and even if a round gets through the wall, the ground behind will still stop it.
Back to top Go down
Bulldog_shotgun

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:04 am

I always said if i built a new house, that i was gonna build a 100yd range off the basement.

dig trench, lay in 100yds of 36in Poly tile.with angled concrete backstop at the other end. use low voltage rope light through the tube and a few recessed lights and exhaust fan at the backstop. figured if built during construction wouldn't add more than 5k to construction price.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:57 am

Bulldog_shotgun wrote:
I always said if i built a new house, that i was gonna build a 100yd range off the basement.

dig trench, lay in 100yds of 36in Poly tile.with angled concrete backstop at the other end. use low voltage rope light through the tube and a few recessed lights and exhaust fan at the backstop. figured if built during construction wouldn't add more than 5k to construction price.

shweet

I know a former SEAL that did that. But he used 6ft culvert pipe iirc. He shoots his 300winmag in there all the time. 100yds.

Ive yet to be permitted entrance. scratchhead
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Bulldog_shotgun wrote:

Well, laying the pipe and putting in the backstop wouldn't add much -- $5k to $10k sounds about right -- but then you have to consider what the cost of a lot in which you can dig a hundred yards of trench will add to the average cost of a building lot. I'm guessing that if you're anywhere you can get internet on either cable or fiber, the lot upgrade will add about $100k (where I am, that'd be a triple lot, plus the potential complications of having to work around underground water, sewer, and natural gas piping -- at least the phone lines, cable, and fiber in this neighborhood are above ground).
Back to top Go down
Bulldog_shotgun

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Zeiss Ikon wrote:

Well, laying the pipe and putting in the backstop wouldn't add much -- $5k to $10k sounds about right -- but then you have to consider what the cost of a lot in which you can dig a hundred yards of trench will add to the average cost of a building lot. I'm guessing that if you're anywhere you can get internet on either cable or fiber, the lot upgrade will add about $100k (where I am, that'd be a triple lot, plus the potential complications of having to work around underground water, sewer, and natural gas piping -- at least the phone lines, cable, and fiber in this neighborhood are above ground).

You're probably right but i don't ever plan on living on a lot. i live in the sticks and like it. and yes i have 10M DSL, but we were 5 yrs behind the cities in getting it. i currently have a 250yd range, and when the corn comes off i wil have my 750 yd range again. the underground range would be more about all weather shooting than anything else.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Bulldog_shotgun wrote:
the underground range would be more about all weather shooting than anything else.

Well, for that, it'd be cheaper to build a breezeway range (assuming you want/need shelter to get to and from the target board) -- you could set up one of those with 4x4 posts every eight feet, six feet wide and 7-8 feet clearance height, roll roofed, for under $5k. A simple sheltered firing bench and sheltered target board (with weather proof backstop) would be even less than that, if you don't mind walking in the rain or snow to score and change your targets (hint: if it's too windy for an umbrella, you can't tell anything useful about a new load or rifle tweak anyway, though you can still learn about compensating for wind with a known quantity rifle/load combination).
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:17 pm

If I can figure out how to modify my garden tiller, there will be a nice range under my neighbors garden interesting .
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:47 pm

My hay field is 1500ft long. It's sloped up from east to west. There is
nobody to the west (at least within the direct line of fire) for at
least two miles, but there is a north-south gravel road about a 1/3 mile out as you can see. I shoot towards the east now on the 100 yd with rifles and to the west with the pistols. It's all freestyle shooting as I have yet to put in any shooting bench's. Trees generally provide a steady rest now. The pistol setup is situated in the 100 year old dump back there. Plenty of steel trash to shoot at, stoves, barrels, etc. The trouble I have is getting out there to shoot. Being in school takes an awful lot of time. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Thats a good bit more than alot of folks have. shweet Glad your utilizing it.
You just need to skip school more. drill

I see you blocked out the coordinates.....

Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Yep, still paranoid about big brother. Suspect Well, not my brother, but someones brother. What a Face

it's in Iowaaaah. If I don't find a job soon it won't be mine much longer anyway. Neutral I haven't liked living here since I moved here over 23 years ago. I have no reason to stay anymore either. I moved here to be near family (only sister) but she (they) retired and sold out to live out the rest of their days in an RV traveling. Her and my brother are the only family I have soo.... brother isn't important. He's an ass. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Wow. There isn't anywhere within a hundred miles of my house that has that kind of open area; it's all either incorporated city/town where shooting is prohibited unless on a designated range, or small-field farms (private land, and posted -- good luck getting permission to shoot, when they're charging $1200 a year for hunting leases), or dense woods. The nearest free public range (since a closer one closed three years ago, seemingly never to reopen, due to vandalism and people shooting over the berm into public recreation land) is around 150 miles away, and the nearest one where I can shoot my Mosin at all without a buy-in and annual membership for a private club is sixty miles and charges $10/hr per person, on top of the cost of gas for the round trip.

For me, being able to shoot down the hall into the living room is useful practice...
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Randy wrote:
Yep, still paranoid about big brother. Suspect Well, not my brother, but someones brother. What a Face

it's in Iowaaaah. If I don't find a job soon it won't be mine much longer anyway. Neutral I haven't liked living here since I moved here over 23 years ago. I have no reason to stay anymore either. I moved here to be near family (only sister) but she (they) retired and sold out to live out the rest of their days in an RV traveling. Her and my brother are the only family I have soo.... brother isn't important. He's an ass. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I hear that. The places to go are getting fewer and fewer.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Zeiss Ikon wrote:
Wow. There isn't anywhere within a hundred miles of my house that has that kind of open area; it's all either incorporated city/town where shooting is prohibited unless on a designated range, or small-field farms (private land, and posted -- good luck getting permission to shoot, when they're charging $1200 a year for hunting leases), or dense woods. The nearest free public range (since a closer one closed three years ago, seemingly never to reopen, due to vandalism and people shooting over the berm into public recreation land) is around 150 miles away, and the nearest one where I can shoot my Mosin at all without a buy-in and annual membership for a private club is sixty miles and charges $10/hr per person, on top of the cost of gas for the round trip.

Man, i couldnt imagine. pale
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:44 pm

SilverTip wrote:
Zeiss Ikon wrote:

Man, i couldnt imagine. pale

I can't either. Shocked I was born in the North St. Louis MO area and finding a place to shoot there was simple. But times have changed, and if people even think that pop they just heard could be misconstrued as a gun they'd call the cops. Mad We'd take our .22 and walk down the street to the drainage creek that ran underground for some distances through neighborhoods but came above ground at the street around the corner and shoot there. It was a big washout area about 50' across and ten feet below grade. We never got hassled. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Of course we were only about ten years old at the time. And that was back in the '60's. As we got older we found places under public bridges, on right of way's, where ever. At my current age I wouldn't try that of course. But we also used to go four-wheeling in those areas also.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Yep. As recently as the early 1980s, I lived in a small town in Idaho where I could shoot in a sort of gravel pit alongside a road, two miles from city limits. The bank was twenty feet high, decomposed granite, i.e. rock so crumbly it would absorb a bullet like a water drop on a sponge, and there was about fifty feet of clear space. Recovering .25 ACP or .380 ACP brass was impossible on the gravel footing, but we used to shoot handguns up to .45 ACP and .44 Special there, and a few times a .223 AR or .357 Magnum carbine. I rented a basement apartment just outside town when I was in college, and used to shoot my muzzle loading pistol (built from a CVA kit that cost me, if you can believe it, $60) at a paint can stuck up on a fence post, nothing visible behind but a wheat field running up to the ridge a couple hundred yards away (and if I'd somehow shot high enough to go over the ridge, the next house was over a mile -- a .45 round ball wouldn't carry that far from a BP pistol) -- and that was still only five minutes from the college campus where I was a student; on days when my car wouldn't start, I could ride my bicycle in and still only be twenty minutes late.

Now, I live in central North Carolina -- this place looks like country with all the woods, but every single square foot of those woods is private property unless it's part of a state or national park (and none of those close to me except Uwharrie National Forest, which is where I hunt). I need to find a way to make a living out west...
Back to top Go down
Randy

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Zeiss Ikon wrote:
Yep. As recently as the early 1980s, I lived in a small town in Idaho where I could shoot in a sort of gravel pit alongside a road, two miles from city limits. The bank was twenty feet high, decomposed granite, i.e. rock so crumbly it would absorb a bullet like a water drop on a sponge, and there was about fifty feet of clear space. Recovering .25 ACP or .380 ACP brass was impossible on the gravel footing, but we used to shoot handguns up to .45 ACP and .44 Special there, and a few times a .223 AR or .357 Magnum carbine. I rented a basement apartment just outside town when I was in college, and used to shoot my muzzle loading pistol (built from a CVA kit that cost me, if you can believe it, $60) at a paint can stuck up on a fence post, nothing visible behind but a wheat field running up to the ridge a couple hundred yards away (and if I'd somehow shot high enough to go over the ridge, the next house was over a mile -- a .45 round ball wouldn't carry that far from a BP pistol) -- and that was still only five minutes from the college campus where I was a student; on days when my car wouldn't start, I could ride my bicycle in and still only be twenty minutes late.

Now, I live in central North Carolina -- this place looks like country with all the woods, but every single square foot of those woods is private property unless it's part of a state or national park (and none of those close to me except Uwharrie National Forest, which is where I hunt). I need to find a way to make a living out west...

I've been saying that since I moved here from Vail, CO. I actually lived in Edwards but most people probably don't know where that is. Most have no idea where Vail is or why it's well known. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] On that note, I've met plenty of college grads that haven't got a clue as to where St. Louis, MO is either. cyclops
Making a living out west pretty much means owning a business that folks need.
Back to top Go down
foxtrot92000

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:06 am

im from just south of St. Louis MO. Ive got up to 1500 yards to shoot if I wanted to shoot over a gravel road. Otherwise Ive got about 1000. I haven't utilized anything past 578 yet, but plan to as soon as my mosin comes back from the gunsmith.

I feel for you guys who don't have anywhere to go locally to hunt or shoot. Ive been blessed by my family being a farming family and growing up on 250 acres of open cattle pasture with multiple stocked ponds and neighbors that allow hunting anywhere and anytime. all in all I have access to close to 800 acres of cattle pasture, CRP hunting ground, cropland, brush, ditches, draws, and hardwoods.
Back to top Go down
northumbrian

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:13 am

The longest shot I've got on my place is 270yds, too much woodland on my place.
But a 3 hour drive from me is a range open to the public which has targets from 50m, right out to 1650m, yes 1.5miles Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!   

Back to top Go down

Shoot your Mosin in the basement?!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1