Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Slugging your Mosin Nagant barrel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Slugging your Mosin Nagant barrel   Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:07 am

If at all possible, one of the first things you should do when you get your Mosin is slug the bore (well, ok clean it first).

Theres a few reasons why you should slug your bore.
1, for safety, and 2nd for accuracy.

Safety: because it is possible (although unlikely) that you might have one of the rifles with a .308 bore, and shooting .311-.312dia projectiles through it might (although unlikely) cause damage to the rifle or yourself.

Accuracy: because, knowing if your bore is shot out (wore out), might help you determine if your rifle is a viable candidate for further efforts towards accuracy.
Additionally, if you plan to reload, knowing your bore dia can help you tailor the right size projectile to shoot best out your rifle.

Here is a great link and vid on slugging your bore.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
scoodlesniper

PostSubject: hey!   Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:54 pm

hey SilverTip, i have a 1938 tula 91/30 and i have some pretty good accuracy with it at 500 yards.. my question to you is, should i slug the bore even though it is shooting pretty good... im using MFS ammo and i have never measured MFS with calipers either... what do you think? Smile
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Slugging your Mosin Nagant barrel   Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:34 am

If you do it right, it wont hurt a thing to slug it. But if youre happy, and arent concerned with further accuracy, no worries then. Smile

What is 'pretty good at 500yds'?

I am not familiar with MFS ammo. However, if your arent reloading your own ammo, checking your bore dia will help you find a factory load more along the size (dia) that your Mosin likes. If you are reloading, slugging the bore is VERY MUCH recommended.

There is also another way to further refine your on hand supply of ammo. Once you slug your bore, and make a determination as to what your avg measurements are. You can then measure your MFS ammo and catagorize them by size (bullet dia). It will vary. (And im curious by how much.) Then shoot those groups and see which dia performs better.

If you arent reloading, you can also check and correct the concentricity of your stock ammo. Some say this helps. others say it doesnt not. Im inclined to say it does.

Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
Fung_13

PostSubject: Re: Slugging your Mosin Nagant barrel   Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Check the video author out and he has several other good videos that are worth a watch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slugging your Mosin Nagant barrel   

Back to top Go down

Slugging your Mosin Nagant barrel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1