Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Hello everyone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
i_love_mosins

PostSubject: Hello everyone!   Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:20 am

Wow a Mosin forum that's full of mosin-lovers!
so glad i found this place, i love mosins too.
part collector, mostly shooter, own 3 looking for 4th (it's addictive!)
actually got a C&R license to buy mosins (also to get around that retarded CA residency thing for handguns)

anyone know of rechambering mosins? to 500 S&W Magnum, I've heard of the 45-70 conversion but never see any evidence, I know of a 500 S&W Mag conversion youtube vid but can't find any other info about it.
Back to top Go down
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:00 pm

I've seen photos of a .45-70 conversion (rebarrel, not rechamber); it required cutting out the sides of the magazine where it narrows at the original shoulder, to clear the much wider nose of the old straight-wall case, and gave a magazine capacity of four because the thicker noses won't tuck together -- but apparently it worked well and didn't require much if anything in the way of bolt mods. The .500 S&W would partially solve that problem with the shorter round, but you might still have to relieve the magazine sides, since it's straight walled; in addition, you'd have to come up with some way to block rounds from sliding forward until they're in the bolt path -- might be able to notch the magazine follower and put strips inside the magazine to do that job.

Potentially a bigger issue is that I recall the Mosin Nagant action as being rated for relatively low pressure by modern rifle standards, while the .500 S&W is about at the top end of revolver cartridges in that respect -- though I don't recall if it gets close to 55,000 PSI.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:21 am

Hey welcome aboard! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I dont know any information personally, about those conversions. You might be the pioneer on that one. I'd love to learn how someone throws a .500sw outta these old dogs.
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
i_love_mosins

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Zeiss Ikon wrote:
Potentially a bigger issue is that I recall the Mosin Nagant action as being rated for relatively low pressure by modern rifle standards, while the .500 S&W is about at the top end of revolver cartridges in that respect -- though I don't recall if it gets close to 55,000 PSI.
.500 S&W Mag's max pressure is up around 61,000 psi, but i don't run my handloads anywhere close to that, probably wouldn't be an issue. I don't plan on shooting any factory in it either.
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Im not a rocket surgen, but I think if you dont crimp your first ones, seat your bullet OFF the lands, you greatly reduce the risk of high pressure. If you crimp and load ON the lands.... well, with a SW.500 I wouldnt have the balls for it.

Lyman has N110- 29.7grain- 1561fps- 35,500PSI- 375gr Barnes XPB HP- 10" barrel- .500 groove.

You found any barrels around? What max distance you looking to shoot? What grouping you shooting for?
Back to top Go down
http://mosinitus.americantalk.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum :: Welcome to the world of Mosinitus!-
Jump to: