Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum
Welcome to Mosinitus. The Mosin Nagant Builders Forum

This forum is geared toward the 54r shooter who constantly strives for more accuracy. You will never be chastised or banned for your opinions. Whether you like to collect, or modify these rifles, the path is yours.

HomeHome  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Make a Donation to Mosinitus hereMake a Donation to Mosinitus here  

Share | 

Hunting Ammo: Ready For Deer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Hunting Ammo: Ready For Deer   Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:09 pm

General deer season opens in my part of North Carolina on November 3 this year; that gave me this weekend to get my sights changed over and adjusted following last weekend's Appleseed. This morning, I switched out the tapered post for the red fiber optic post in my Smith Sights front sight unit; this afternoon I drove to the range to get sighted in.

First round was barely on the paper -- a combination of the heavier, slower bullet throwing a little higher than the light ball I've fired up until now, and not getting the front post as high as the one I took out. One adjustment wasn't enough, but the third round was about right for height (throwing a round 1.5 inches high at 50 yards); that's the left-most shot in the photo linked below. Once I had that, I fired three more rounds to be sure, producing a group just about two inches, centered almost exactly three inches above my hold point (bottom point of the diamond) -- one inch for the six o'clock hold, and two for range compensation, just right!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With this setting (and the military sight left at 100 m), I should be able to hold right on for any range out to 200 yards (I'll be about three to four inches low at that range with these slower bullets, closer than I can see to hold that far off, and no more than three inches high at 100), which ought to cover any shot I'm likely to get in the heavily wooded Uwharrie gamelands where I'll be hunting.

The Brown Bear rounds I was able to buy chambered and extracted perfectly, no sign of lacquer sticking (though I didn't fire enough rounds for the chamber to get hot), and the recoil and report were virtually indistinguishable from the light ball surplus I've been shooting. Based on a report from the range officer, who also has a Mosin and shot a deer with one last year, my biggest problem (assuming I get a shot and don't completely choke from buck fever) will be meat destruction; he broke both shoulders, and in the process destroyed several pounds of meat -- on the other hand, his buck dropped on the spot (they don't run far when their legs don't work).

Looking forward to venison in the freezer this fall...
Back to top Go down
SilverTip
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Ammo: Ready For Deer   Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:58 am

Oh man! That'd be great. Everyone asks why I dont deer hunt. I say, cause I cant use my Mosin! :$) thats why. .358 is our limit.

My strategy for when the day comes is headshot.

There are some good hunting bullets out there for .311 also.
Back to top Go down
http://54rimroved.com
Zeiss Ikon

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Ammo: Ready For Deer   Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

SilverTip wrote:
Oh man! That'd be great. Everyone asks why I dont deer hunt. I say, cause I cant use my Mosin! :$) thats why. .358 is our limit.

My strategy for when the day comes is headshot.

There are some good hunting bullets out there for .311 also.

You're in one of those states still in transition from shotgun-only, aren't you? Indiana actually has a maximum cartridge length limit that prohibits most of the traditional deer cartridges, but lets in handguns chamberings like .357 Magnum -- bad case of hunting laws written by folks who don't shoot or hunt. A .257 Roberts or .25-06 is plenty for deer, even a .243 Winchester does the job (and probably not a coincidence that .24 bullet diameter is North Carolina's limitation for rifles, though a .22-250 or even .223 can take deer with good shot placement) -- and a Mosin with a suitable soft point will reliably take anything up to grizzly bear, if you've got the accuracy for shot placement.

I don't have the accuracy to attempt a head shot beyond, at most, about fifty yards; at a hundred yards, especially if I'm shooting offhand (i.e. can't improvise a rest -- I'm not a stand hunter), I can be confident of a lung shot, nothing more precise -- but one of these 203 gr. soft points through the lungs should insure a short post-shot track, and a hit on either shoulder in the pass through ought to drop the buck more or less in his tracks.

For next year, I plan to be shooting paper patched cast bullets, 180 grains at 2300-2400 ft/s; ballistically comparable to heavy ball, but with bullets sized .001 to .002 over bore, patched the same amount over groove (I'm shooting for .301 patched to .315 for my .300 bore and .313 groove); I should get jacketed bullet velocity at slightly lower pressure, and the accuracy of a correctly sized cast bullet (assuming I can afford the gas and range time to shoot enough to optimize my load), without having to buy gas checks or spend more for jacketed bullets than the cost of new steel/Berdan Brown Bear or Silver Bear ammunition.

Also, with luck, I may manage to hunt rabbits with my Mosin by the end of this season (last of February for bunnies here), shooting cast 90 grain pistol bullets over light loads of pistol powder -- Bullseye, Red Dot, or Unique.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hunting Ammo: Ready For Deer   

Back to top Go down

Hunting Ammo: Ready For Deer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1